Should we do it?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Broke Down Ranch, May 7, 2008.

1. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I have had goats before. So I kinda know the ins and outs of them but we are considering buying a couple nubian/alpine crosses for milking. Is this the way to go? We can't afford a cow but we need SOMETHING cause we go thru almost a gallon of milk a day...BTW, these goats are $65 - is that a good price?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes thats a real good price for them.are they bred dry or milking already.im thinking bout getting 3 nanny goats to eat grass an brush.an they are pure boar goats for $100 to $150ea.an they have the reg papers.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Quite a few threads on the pros/cons on the first couple pages here. Have a glance.

I sell my weathers for $100 ea, so that's a great price. I have one doe who gives around 8 lbs per day, so with two decent milkers you should be able to furnish yourself with milk. I rather enjoy milking and drinking out own goat's milk... and then cheese... and then any etxra can go to the piggies. :0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by