Should we separate bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kmoore, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Kmoore

Kmoore New Egg

Mar 24, 2008
    We just got our new chicks yesterday, including three *tiny* bantams! (30 all together) I was so concerned they'd get trampled with all the running around and then falling asleep on top of eachother that I tried to put them in their own little box, but they cried so loudly and tried so hard to jump out that I ended up adding them back into the group...but am still concerned they'll smother! Anyone have any experience with this?

2. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I raised all of my chicks together from the start and I have never had any problems with the bantams and standards being together.

If there are any that were especially small or weak, I would separate those with one or two others that were small or just calmer than the others to keep them company. Then, when they had gotten a little bigger and able to watch out for themselves I put them back with the rest.

I raised OEGB babies in the same brooder as my big light Brahmas and BOs and they all got along fine.

3. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I have a very little belgian quail antwerp and a white silkie in with four standards and they've done beautifully. They get stepped on once in awhile but have held their own. They've actually adopted my EE who is maybe a week older and three times their size as their new Mama. Very cute.[​IMG]

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I raised two Golden Dutch in the same brooder with 27 Silver Laced Wyandottes. Dutch banties are about as small as they come. They held their own just fine. They've all been in the same coop for over a year now , with no problems. The banties do like to roost in the window sills, to keep from getting smushed on the roost at night, though.

5. Kmoore

Kmoore New Egg

Mar 24, 2008
    Thanks for your input! We did lose one (of three) the first night, but she seemed weak on arrival. [​IMG] The others are doing great. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by