Should we try to adopt a neighbor’s chickens?

Any way you could observe them for a few hours, or know what they're being fed?
Somewhat. Their food must be in their coop, because I don’t see it out. But I do see a lot of old scraps all over the yard. Old squash rinds, corn cobs, etc. so I’m assuming they get scraps. But I don’t know what they actually get for food.

This was one of my worries about taking only one of them. Really I want the leghorn, mostly, but I wouldn’t want her to start getting bullied and be lonely, as you’ve said. Thank you for your story, I will probably not be looking at taking one as an option now.
Also keep in mind this is just my experience with adopting one and i personally have’t had luck with it.

I’ve just learned not to risk it because its pretty heartbreaking and chaotic to manage a single lonely chicken and a flock who bully that single chicken.

If my white leghorns lay an egg that cracks when it hits the floor, they will eat it everytime. If they lay an egg that does not crack, they never bother the egg. I have never found an egg that was slightly cracked and have witnessed the yellow spot where it was eaten. I have used a bare floor and bedding materials so there is a difference in cracked and eaten eggs between the two. I have on multiple instances dropped an egg while gathering and it cracked with a distinct sound and here they come running to eat it and have had to fend them off like vultures. I have had a lot of generations of white leghorns and they have always been like this.

Maybe the owner does not use a bedding in the nest so they crack easy? Maybe they are so used to eating eggs that the habit can't be changed? Chickens are like monkey see, monkey do so I would expect your birds to take up the habit too if they witness this.
Wonder if they are getting enough to eat? If they aren’t it may explain why they are eating their own eggs. I know some chickens will do it from time to time, mine do.

See I was thinking along this line, also. I don’t think I have enough experience with chickens to know for sure that we would somehow be able to fix the egg eating issue, though. From what others say it’s hard to break and I would hate for my girls to take on the habit.

Such a big decision to take on adult, established chickens. I wish I didn’t have to see them all the time, it only makes me want to take them more!
If they have more room to roam/forage they won’t be looking a the eggs all the time.

Personally I think with a lot of hard work it could be possible. You could change your nest boxes to the ‘roll-away boxes’, where as soon as the egg is laid it rolls down into a compartment that the chickens can’t access. Here’s a link to them - https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/ro...astic-nest-insert-for-hanging-3-sections.html

That would solve the egg eating issue, and it also means the eggs don’t get dirty.

Also if you could find a prefab coop cheap nearby, and get some chicken wire fencing to give them some run space , you could keep the hens separate from your flock for a while. This way it means your flock can get used to them without fighting, and you can keep the hens separate to check/treat them for any issues they might have, whilst also keeping your hens safe. You can also feed them a separate feed which might be more suited for them given their poor living conditions.

Obviously it’s always going to be a risky process and it’s not guaranteed to go well, but I just personally think it is very do-able.

However, I fully understand if you didn’t as it can be quite costly and quite a lot of hard work, and it’s very good of you to notice and want to help these hens in the first place 🙂🙂

Personally I think with a lot of hard work it could be possible. You could change your nest boxes to the ‘roll-away boxes’, where as soon as the egg is laid it rolls down into a compartment that the chickens can’t access. Here’s a link to them - https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/ro...astic-nest-insert-for-hanging-3-sections.html

That would solve the egg eating issue, and it also means the eggs don’t get dirty.

Also if you could find a prefab coop cheap nearby, and get some chicken wire fencing to give them some run space , you could keep the hens separate from your flock for a while. This way it means your flock can get used to them without fighting, and you can keep the hens separate to check/treat them for any issues they might have, whilst also keeping your hens safe. You can also feed them a separate feed which might be more suited for them given their poor living conditions.

Obviously it’s always going to be a risky process and it’s not guaranteed to go well, but I just personally think it is very do-able.

However, I fully understand if you didn’t as it can be quite costly and quite a lot of hard work, and it’s very good of you to notice and want to help these hens in the first place 🙂🙂
Thank you, I appreciate the optimism you have. After hearing from quite a few people, I think I am in line with you. Perhaps it would be worth a try, and a move for those hens may be enough to shake up any egg eating habits. Those roll away nesting boxes are genius!

Thank you, I appreciate the optimism you have. After hearing from quite a few people, I think I am in line with you. Perhaps it would be worth a try, and a move for those hens may be enough to shake up any egg eating habits. Those roll away nesting boxes are genius!
Yeah I haven’t got them myself but I’ve seen many people recommend them so they seem to work well. Good luck to you, I hope it all goes well🙂 be sure to post an update on how it all goes 🙂

Back
Top Bottom