Should we?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by flopsy, Sep 14, 2008.

1. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Our coop is built inside an old chain link dog pen. The run is attached. Do we need to close the coop door each night?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i would! there are all sorts of baddies that will get in/over/under etc.

protect your investment.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, absolutely. Raccoons can easily climb your fence. You may think you don't have any, but trust me, you do.

4. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    forgot to mention it has top on run and on coop and pen. but probably better safe than sorry, huh?

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Absolutely.

That way you won't have your run tested the hard way.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Protect your investment unless you are absolutely certain there are NO predators. We have coyotes here in AZ... even in the city... Our's get locked up.

7. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    YES ! My mother in law had chickens for 2 years in chain link enclosure and had no problems, then the coons found her. Coons will reach through chain link ,too , and pop off a chickens head. She has lost 12 this year that way! Inside the coop at night or reinforce your fence with hardware cloth.

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I echo sweetcorn's sentiments....a chainlink fence gives predators enough limited access to do tons of damage....

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I agree. I live in the 'burbs, and I would shudder to think what creeps around here at night along the greenway looking for a snack. We have a Fort Knox run, but I still lock the girls up in the coop every night just to be sure. It only takes once . . .

You might scroll through this forum and read all the sad stories beginning with "oh, we came home late and we found . . ."

Good luck!

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    As so many have stated, attempt to keep them safe by keeping the door shut at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by