should you move the eggs at 17 days

alice

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 28, 2007
i have a hen who is sitting on eggs and we are at bout 17/18 days i only have her in the normal hen house which is fenced but open during the day, i also have 3 outdoor cats when the chicks are hatcing i am worried the cats will go for them. i have a old guine pig cage which is totally enclosed and would be perfect but if i just put the eggs in there will she sit or would the change of place be bad?
if i move her and the eggs together would that be better? can i move the chicks as soon as they hatch?

At this stage...I would waite untill they all hatch...then move momma and babies to a safer location, away from the cats. If you move the nest now, she might not get back on it. Good luck....and...we will want pics if possible! LOL
What breed is your hen?

I agree, they get disoriented when being moved and will try to get back to where she had been sitting. Once you have the chicks hatched out is a good time to move her to a safe place away from other chickens and cats. I usually keep my girls apart for about 4 weeks if possible then you can reintroduce them.

thanks will do that and pic's will be a cert, assuming they hatch that is! i am being very postive in my thinking!!!!

Back
Top Bottom