Should you stop a hen being broody?

I know, they go to bed so early in winter :(

Quote:

I know how you feel! I've not had a flock without a broody since April/May.

I'm thinking of making something like that too, had a disaster with my broody in the dog crate last night. Went down to the run at half 6 to put her and the chicks (who still haven't got the hang of going to bed) in the coop, she had tried so desperately to get out the cage to go to bed she'd got her head stuck in a gap at the top and her legs stuck in the side, she was stiff and I really thought she had hung herself or died in a panic. I managed to get her out and thank goodness she was okay, I gave her a massive cuddle and then put her on the floor to make sure she could walk, she did her broody cluck and went straight to bed.... like nothing had happened at all!

I feel awful but I'm so glad she is okay, will NOT be using a crate again. Will have to have a re-think and come up with another idea.

I know, I really cannot believe she did that, never even thought of something like that happening.

I'll have to just let her get on with it for now (although will keep turfing her out when I find her in the nest box) and put some extra nest boxes in so hopefully there will be no arguments, and try and sort something safer this week.

I've just given up after days of keeping my broody off the nest. I have given her her own space and little run and only three eggs to sit on. I don't like i it when she gets broody so early as then she has more broody times before Autumn. (we're just into Spring here at the moment where I am)

Yes, I have two. The problem for us is that we really don't want to increase the size of our flock. Plenty of space to roam but the hen house would have to be rebuilt. It could maybe take another 4 or 5 before it would get too cramped. You know you could give her some plastic eggs and after a few weeks, try putting a day old baby chick or two under her if you can source some ( at night then she will more than likely accept them) or.... can you source fertile eggs? Then you'd have the joy of seeing them hatch.

I plan to hatch some eggs in the future just so I don't have to go through that whole quarantine thing again adding older birds. I'm residential zoned though and already have 7 so going to wait till these start showing a drop in egg production before adding 3 newbies.

Yes I think I will let my goldtop hatch some chicks next spring as she is so determined.

Good news is my welsummer seems to finally be unbroody!!! She perched in the coop last night instead of sleeping on the first - first time in months! And hasn't even looked at her broody corner :)

Yes I think I will let my goldtop hatch some chicks next spring as she is so determined.

Good news is my welsummer seems to finally be unbroody!!! She perched in the coop last night instead of sleeping on the first - first time in months! And hasn't even looked at her broody corner :)
You know what will happen...your goldtop will decide to take a year off next Spring.lol.

Man my silkie is doing my head in. On day 5!! She stayed off till about 10am but then back she went. She is really determined this time lol

Back
Top Bottom