Shouldn't 6-8 month old roosters be good to eat?

It's hard to describe the off-taste I noticed. I would not call it gamey. I like game birds. I would expect a "stronger" flavor which is what I was hoping for. I first noticed it as a smell while it was roasting. I love to walk in the house and smell of a roasting bird -- it hits me and makes my mouth water. This did not make my mouth water but made me think for a moment "What is that smell?"

I only cooked one of these birds so far so this may not be a fair example. Maybe he ate something funny. My birds do eat the alpaca feed that falls on the floor. My GL wyandotte roo LIVES with the alpacas like one of them. He's not interested in the other birds at all.
lol.png

I'm going to try the brine.

The "off" taste may be the difference in a slow growing chicken and what we are used to in a grocery store. It took my family a while to get used to the taste but know store bought chicken tastes "off" now. I started with soup and then moved on to seasoned in the oven and then to less seasoning. I tell my kids this is what real chicken is suposed to taste like.

The stronger flavor is due to the difference in how a commercial chicken is raised and then processed and injected with water and salt solutions and other brines. Your home bird is how a chicken should taste. Flavorful and fresh.

ok -- I've roasted bird #2 after brining with Miss Priss formula for 24 hrs. I do think it was better tasting and it certainly was tender. It was, however, very salty -- maybe I did the brine wrong?
I followed the turkey method exactly as listed with the ice etc.
I know this chicken was a different breed. The legs and thighs were large with very dark meat. yellow skin. The processer did not label the breeds. Also, I do not think the birds were bled very well. Not sure what difference that may make.

breeds processed:
Rocks and RIR with crosses
EE's
Marans'

Cut back on the salt for a chicken. Smaller bird, less water and ice and seasonings needed to brine it.

For a 6lb chicken next time do 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 c. sugar and a couple gallons of water and ice.

Thanks Priss! I didn't know how to adjust for the chicken.... BTW your website is very enjoyable! I believe my avatar is a pic of one the turkeys hatched from your eggs.... thanks again

Back
Top Bottom