Shouldn't I have eggs by now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ACM22, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ACM22

ACM22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    We recieved two orders of chicks mid to late May... my hens still have not started to lay eggs and it's December. Is that normal or should they have been laying already?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Every hen matures at her own pace. It may be too late in the year for eggs which means they should start in spring at the latest.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

X2 Added to that different breeds start at different times. Some early developers may lay at 16 weeks -- most chickens at 5-6 months, and some as long as 7-8 months.....and as Kevin565 says, this time of year has less light and more cold, so some of their energy that can go into egg construction in warmer months is directed to keeping warm in colder months. Hang in there.....before too long you should have eggs.

of course too, make sure that there are not parasites and plenty of fresh water and food is available. Water is a huge component of the make up of an egg.

4. ACM22

ACM22 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Thank you so much for the reassurance and advice! I leave in Feb. for the military so I'm hoping I get to see some eggs before I leave! Haha.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hope that you do too----- keep those fingers crossed, and make sure that they have lots of food and water....and who knows... You might just see those eggs before you depart.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Tis the season. Shorter winter days = no eggs. Spring will bring 'em.

7. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Add a light to the coop if you havent done so already. For best egg production they want 16 hours of light a day.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Really?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by