Show Bird explantion please?

what types of roosters do I need to look into breeding to have a show quality rooster? what characteristics make them better than others?

Quote:
One that meet that breeds Standard.
There is a Breed Standard for every breed that the American Poultry Association (APA) recognizes and that breed standard is laid out in the APA's Standard of Perfection (SoP) the fowl that meets that breed standard the closest is the better fowl.

The SoP describes what each breed should look like by describing
Weigh for - cock, Hen, Cockerel, Pullet
Comb,
Beak,
Face,
Eye,
Wattles,
Ear-loses,
Head,
Neck,
Back,
Tail,
Wing,
Breast,
Body and Fluff,
Legs and Toes.

The description is given for both Male and Female fowl and should be what you are breeding to.

If you are going to get into showing I would recommend investing the money into a Standard of Perfection before you go to any breeder looking for fowl.
Note if you are going to start showing fowl get your stock from a good breeder and not a hatchery. Hatchery stock has its place but it is not in the show ring and you will be very disappointed in the long run.

Chris

My best advice, and you've gotten wonderful advice so far, is to buy a Standard of Perfection (my other bible:) ) and attend shows. Not just county fair shows but bigger shows sanctioned by the ABA/APA and what have you. Speak with the judges (not when they are judging of course!) When I started showing that is what I did and I learned a whole lot:old

Showing takes dedication and patience....and nerves! But it is very rewarding:) But I would definitely by a SOP.

Quote:
I agree with you Bill. The very best breeders in the breeds I like do more for the breed by selling at a very affordable price. OR even giving hacks like me free birds to stick it out in the breed they like. My BEST Buff Orps were given to me. "FREE"!! I see many making the money off of the NON SOP varieties of breeds. Like the LAV craze. OR now ALL these new to the USA Orp varieties. I see some "LEMON CUCKOO" chicks going for $100 a piece. And looking at the parent stock, it looked like hatchery quality from the UK. Just go on EBAY and see what the eggs are going for. The true high quality Orps are lucky to get $20 a piece for adults or even a dozen eggs. Anyone wanting to make a buck with EXHIBITION quality birds will greatly be disappointed. These color varieties is where many spend their money. And I also must say 99% of everyone here will never show a bird at an APA event. So they can care less about the SOP.

I think price is based on what is hot at the time...the first time I ever bought a SLW off of Bill Guardhouse I gave him $25 for each bird and we were the only ones in the wyandotte aisle at Columbus. The next year he was getting $100 for each bird and he was like a rock star with a line of people trying to buy from him. I have noticed that call ducks have slowed down a little when it comes to selling....I do like to sell my extra birds to pay my feed bill....but that is not why I show birds, I like them and enjoy the challenge of trying to raise a better bird each year...trust me when you grow out 100 chicks of one variety so that you can keep the very best ones...well you are not going to get your money back...my feed bill has run over $750 a month for the last 3 months...ouch.

Back
Top Bottom