Show Breeding question

K&H Chicken Farm

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
Redding CA
OK I got a Australorp Roo, but his tail set is way to high. Almost if not a Squirrel tail. If I put him with hens with nice low tail sets will that help bring his offsprings tails down? Or will I just be breeding more Squirrel Tails?
Shelly

It'll probably be a mix of both, and some somewhere in between. You should get a couple nice ones though!
big_smile.png
Also, I've read in several places that they're recently learned that the chicks will take after the mother more than the father, so it's more important to have nice hens than nice roosters when it comes to breeding, so I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Great! I have about 12 hens with 5 of them being really nice looking with great laying history. I really want to start working on my own line.
Thank you,
Shelly

Culls are no problems, they are a dual purpose breed.
smile.png
I just need to know if you can breed out that high tail. I know split wing in near imposable.
Shelly

You can. But you are in for a lot of work and some very heavy culling. So if you are in it as a looooooooooong term project then yes it can be done.

In all reality you would be best to find another roo.

*sigh* It took me 3 months to find this one. hmm. I will use him for local chick sells and not keep any then. Any one have a good roo for sale?
fl.gif

K&H Chicken Farm :

*sigh* It took me 3 months to find this one. hmm. I will use him for local chick sells and not keep any then. Any one have a good roo for sale?
fl.gif

I'd just stalk eggbid.com if I were you or buy some eggs from a good breeder and keep the best male, he'll be mature in time for the main breeding season (fall).​

Back
Top Bottom