show classes exchequer leghorn and spitzhauben

They can go, but I would not advise it. They will have to show in the all other standard breed class - other breeds variety. Since most, if not all judges, are APA sanctioned, it will be very unlikely that they will place one of those breeds in that class... unless there is strong support to get that breed recognized in the standard. In that case there would be a large number of that breed or variety in the show. Sorry.
sad.png

Actually the Exchequer Leghorn would show in the Mediterranien class with the rest of the Leghorns. The best placing they could receive is Best of Variety since they are not currently admitted to the Standard.
The Spitzhaubens, since they are crested, might go in the Continental class but I'm not absolutely sure of that. Again Best of Breed is is the best they could do.
The process of admitting a new breed or variety is a little more involved than simply having a lot of them appear at a show.

A 4Her can show both breeds even with my Spitzhaubens, they would go Continental class but that is all they will go. Best of breeds can go as well but its so limited on Spitzhaubens because they are not recognized by APA. I hope in near future we will have Spitzhaubens as part of the poultry breeds.

Quote:
Exchequer leghorns have been accepted into the standard.

Now I didn't know that. As you can see one problem the APA has is communication. There apparently is no mechanism to notify judges of these changes. I know of some recent additions to the ASOP because I was at the show where the qualifying meet was held-wasn't at the show where the Exchequer Leghorns were admitted.

I know that they are accepted in the ABA for sure. I dont think I heard anything about them being accepted by the APA, I havent read anything in the poultry press or in the newsletters. Are you sure they are accepted by the APA?
As for the classes the leghorn would obviously show with the leghorns in mediteranian and I would say the spitzhaubens would show in continental based on their country of origin.

I think it's valuable to show birds that are NOT APA accepted, in order to expose more people to them, whether or not showing them formally counts towards APA recognition.

There is a very specific process that must be followed to gain APA reccognition. We're currently in the middle of that process with Marans. But you don't have to follow that specific process in order to HELP with the process. Every time somebody shows one of these rare breeds, more people become aware of them. And, over the long haul, the more people are aware the easier it becomes to find people who will help you get that recognition. So get out there and show those breeds!

I know that they are accepted in the ABA for sure. I dont think I heard anything about them being accepted by the APA, I havent read anything in the poultry press or in the newsletters. Are you sure they are accepted by the APA?

What year were they admitted? Also, if the variety is not accepted in the standard, a lot of the shows will only allow the bird to be shown in the AOSB class under all others. Not all, but a lot.​

Back
Top Bottom