show me how your roosts/dropping boards are attached?

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I am struggling with how to attach my roost - given that one whole side of my coop is window - so I can attach a roost to one wall but I need it to stand on its own on the window side - but it keeps wobbling (I tried screwing a 2x3 "leg" to it) - and I'm feeling unsure of what to do. Can I see pictures of how other people attach their roosts to either the walls or on legs? I wanted my roost to be easily removable but now that I'm adding legs (and maybe a stableizing piece to keep it from wobbling) - its getting bigger and more awkward to move in and out. Also, how am I going to set up a droppings board with my awkward-sounding roost set-up?? I went to Home Depot yesterday looking for those simpson brackets in a form that might help me - but I didn't see anything that was exactly what I needed.

Last edited:
How about making your droppings "board" the part that moves? I read someone uses a tarp under the roosts and just pulls that out when needed.

My family owns a roofing company so there are always lots of old shingles hanging around. I have found it really simple to take a few of thoes and place them under the roosts and just shake them off into the compost every few days
hu.gif
Im not much help

27515_princeswestsideroost_1.jpg

We have so many trees down on the property that we just used those.... we nailed them diaganal and across the windows...
this is just one that we did... The chics and Roos love them!

Haven't done it yet, but I'm going to screw two pieces of 8-inch 1x3 on either side of the coop under the roost and just slide the dropping board underneath the roost so it's resting on the 1x3s. Brush daily into a bucket and add to the compoast. Can slide them out weekly for scrapping and/or power washing.

I used a pair of shelf supports (stole the idea from someone else on this board)

32217_063.jpg

Quote:
You have two major options. The easiest, construction-wise, is to take a piece of 2x3 or 2x4 or whatever else like that you have lying around, and cut it to fit vertically floor to ceiling. You will screw it to the top of the wall above the window, and to the bottom of the wall below the window (or to the floor using a large metal L-bracket, if you prefer)... but before doing that, screw the end of the roost into it at the proper level.

The other option is to make a horizontal piece to complement that 'leg' you made -- use an L-bracket to screw it into the nearest wall, then the horizontal piece goes out (alongside the window) til it meets the roost and top of the 'leg', and you screw it to one or the other of them.

Either way will be reasonably stable; the first is stablest and easiest though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
You have two major options. The easiest, construction-wise, is to take a piece of 2x3 or 2x4 or whatever else like that you have lying around, and cut it to fit vertically floor to ceiling. You will screw it to the top of the wall above the window, and to the bottom of the wall below the window (or to the floor using a large metal L-bracket, if you prefer)... but before doing that, screw the end of the roost into it at the proper level.
Pat

This option would easily handle a dropping board as well, because you could add a few brace boards that would allow the sliding in of a "shelf"/dropping board a few inches below the roost...

Back
Top Bottom