Show me pictures of your mixed breeds

An established landrace is not necessarily a recognized breed. Most healthy landraces have a great deal of variation, far more than would be acceptable in a breed standard.
Correct. But the term "established landrace" is very similar to saying "breed". An "established landrace" is just a landrace, and a landrace in the making is a selection of mixes.
An established landrace is not necessarily a recognized breed. Most healthy landraces have a great deal of variation, far more than would be acceptable in a breed standard.

I was asking if you're just starting the process of creating a local landrace, or if this landrace has existed for a while.

No, that wouldn't be a landrace, would it? If I were the creator of the project, I'd still call them mix breeds, with the hope of one day getting them recognised to some extent. So basically no, this landrace has been here long before I started

Would you be able to link said article?
This isn't the same one, but it talks about the concept. "To get males to meet the standard, a cock needs to be mated to pullets that have the same colouring (called ‘cockerelbreeders’). These hens don’t actually meet the standard themselves. The converse applies too, to get females that meet the standard you would breed them with males that have the correct colouring (called ‘pulletbreeders’) but don’t actually meet the standard themselves. " https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Breeding_to_the_Standard.html

I was reading an article a while back where it talked about using a female with male specific coloring if you wanted to create a show-quality rooster of a particular breed. It seems a natural extension.
I have also read about something of the sort. But the ones I have read about, they do not have females or males that actually look like the other sex. It's more a matter of breeding from wrongly-colored females to get the best males, or wrongly-colored males to get the best females. ("Wrongly-colored" as judged by the standard for the breed in question.)

That is because the ideal male, and the ideal female, actually need different genes in some breeds. So breeding good males and good females is almost like raising two separate breeds.

For example, Silver Duckwing chickens in some breeds are supposed to have males with white and black in particular places, and no red/gold/brown shades at all. Females are supposed to have a salmon-colored breast, with white and black in particular places (different than the males.) But the same genes that cause the salmon (brown-ish) breast in the females will also cause red/brown leakage in the shoulders of the males. So to breed good females, the person uses males that have the leakage in their shoulders. They don't look like females, just like badly colored males. To breed good males, the person uses females with a white breast (wrong) who otherwise look like normal females.

Edit to add: I see that I posted this at the same time as another post that says almost the same thing :lol:

I have also read about something of the sort. But the ones I have read about, they do not have females or males that actually look like the other sex. It's more a matter of breeding from wrongly-colored females to get the best males, or wrongly-colored males to get the best females. ("Wrongly-colored" as judged by the standard for the breed in question.)

That is because the ideal male, and the ideal female, actually need different genes in some breeds. So breeding good males and good females is almost like raising two separate breeds.

For example, Silver Duckwing chickens in some breeds are supposed to have males with white and black in particular places, and no red/gold/brown shades at all. Females are supposed to have a salmon-colored breast, with white and black in particular places (different than the males.) But the same genes that cause the salmon (brown-ish) breast in the females will also cause red/brown leakage in the shoulders of the males. So to breed good females, the person uses males that have the leakage in their shoulders. They don't look like females, just like badly colored males. To breed good males, the person uses females with a white breast (wrong) who otherwise look like normal females.

Edit to add: I see that I posted this at the same time as another post that says almost the same thing :lol:
This isn't the same one, but it talks about the concept. "To get males to meet the standard, a cock needs to be mated to pullets that have the same colouring (called ‘cockerelbreeders’). These hens don’t actually meet the standard themselves. The converse applies too, to get females that meet the standard you would breed them with males that have the correct colouring (called ‘pulletbreeders’) but don’t actually meet the standard themselves. " https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Breeding_to_the_Standard.html

Very interesting indeed. I guess here is where people who work with single coloured birds can grin:lau

What is your goal for the mix?
I was t to create a very large dual purpose breed that will be able to survive the Italian alpes and other locations harsh winters. A breed that can be kept in places like Norway or Alaska and be completely fine in extremely cold conditions! It will be a breed that you can eat the extra roosters you hatch and keep the pullets until they stop laying! I used Light Sussex as they lay tons of eggs! I'm wanting a large egg laying breed that lays up to 300-359 eggs a year! And can be perfect as meat birds as well!

Probably male, with that much comb at 3 weeks.
Very likely. I have 3 in this group. Two are older by apx 2 weeks, and I think they're both cockerels. The third and youngest I believe is a pullet.

The two older birds will jump between her and any danger (usually me) and sleep on top of her at night, presumably to keep her warm. She hasn't slept under the brooder since I put her in with them at 1 day old.

The boys were born with developed wing feathers, vestigial tails rather than just the poofy-butt of a normal chick, and were flying by the time they were a week old.

I was t to create a very large dual purpose breed that will be able to survive the Italian alpes and other locations harsh winters. A breed that can be kept in places like Norway or Alaska and be completely fine in extremely cold conditions! It will be a breed that you can eat the extra roosters you hatch and keep the pullets until they stop laying! I used Light Sussex as they lay tons of eggs! I'm wanting a large egg laying breed that lays up to 300-359 eggs a year! And can be perfect as meat birds as well!
Sounds very close to my own goals. A large dual purpose breed that is sustainable, produces its own replacements, can withstand cold temperatures, heat, and a certain level of predator pressure. I am introducing the rose comb for cold tolerance. All of my starting breeds are large bodied foragers, most of them go broody and make good mothers. All are either patterned or dark solid for predator evasion. Several are known to lay in winter. I chose BA and RIR for early maturity and egg laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom