1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show me your brooder! Need ideas for my first

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anna_MN, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I have 26 chicks coming in February. A lot of people have been telling me I am quite brave for ordering chicks during the winter in Minnesota but I feel like I can do it- and I want them close to laying when the weather gets warm. My chicks will be inside for 3 weeks then I want to transfer them to our heated garage in a heated brooder until they have a good weight on them and have all of their adult feathers- then they will be moved to the coop. Anyways, I need some ideas for a brooder. Post pictures or links to what you used for a brooder! Any help is much appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I took the roof off of a dog house my dogs refused to used. I covered the doorway with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and then made a removable cover on top. I have eight, almost 4 week old chicks in there and they are starting to get cramped. Hopefully next week they will be heading out to the big girl coop. It's still in the process of being converted from a shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Mine is a large reptile cage I found on Craigslist. It was wired for heat lamp and regular fluorescent light when I got it!

[​IMG]

4. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I did mine after a design on the BYC website. Modified it with more plexi than wire and painted it since it is going inside until they are a few weeks old. I have pics on my BYC page. Good luck! And most of all have fun with it.

5. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Thanks for the help everyone!

6. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    2 stage brooder outside in hen house. i cover it with plastic when it gets cold. chicks on top and 3 weeks up down with a sand run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i keep several different bulbs 150, 100, 75, 60 and 40 for fluctuating temps and spare brooder lamps.

7. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Here are some pictures of a brooder I built last year. I am building another one similar to this in the near future.
    Hope it helps you out some.
    John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You people and your fancy awesome brooders. Here's an idea of mine [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Ya for disposable brooders!
    I order a bunch of those free USPS boxes online and I tape them together to make one huge brooder. No cleaning just throw it on the burn pile! [​IMG]

10. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Been there done that with the cardboard boxes.....had to move on up so to speak haha...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by