Show me your brooder set-up!

Been using this for several years now but getting larger and larger hatches so ill be upgrading this year to something bigger.
20210227_113635.jpg

Just got it yesterday so far I'm loving it I only have 5 chicks in there but I have 41 eggs set to hatch March 18. The main reason I went ahead and it is because I'm hatching out lavender orpington and since the eggs were so much and they may not all hatch I didn't want to chance a heat light like i used to use. The light did work great but there were several times I couldn't get it just right to hang or clamp the way I wanted. Also I keep them in my shed now and its warmer in there than in the house so one day I went in it was 120 on the thermometer. They have plenty of room to get away from the light but with the pad so far the temp is at 93 under it and ambient temp out away from it. Mainly have peace of mind im not cooking them. That 125 watt red light throws off some heat. Another thing if I'm not brooding I can just set it on my work table and warm myself during winter.

I use a converted chinchilla cage. I believe the chicks are not as stressed if they can see out of the brooder.
I brood in the living room, makes the chicks friendlier and used to all kinds of noise IMO. I use puppy pads, as shavings too dusty for inside. As chicks get bigger, I put pine pellets (horse bedding) over the pads, absorbs smells and not as dusty as shavings.
Heat plates all the way! I have the Brinsea plates in different sizes. Love them. NEVER going back to the red heat lamps!
You have to stuff them under the plates a few times until they get the idea that is where the warmth is. They catch on pretty quick. 😊
How do you deal with all the chick dust in your house?

Back
Top Bottom