Show me your coop ventilation :)

Was a little hard to get photos of mine. I have about 32 sq ft of ventilation NOT including doors in a 6x10 coop. All have hardware cloth sandwiched or secured with screws/fender washers.

These vent holes are just under the roof line at the top of the coop wall, there's 40 total:
View attachment 1788268

Ridge vent in the roof and the inside view of a gable vent:
View attachment 1788269

I have 5 windows that stay open almost all year, plus you can see the gable vent and one of the floor vents (red) here as well:
View attachment 1788270
This is amazing! Thank you! I will definitely have to up the ventilation... I have a 4X10 coop and was struggling with airing it out without making it too cold. We are close to the same area though so I love the help!

We have a solar powered exhaust fan (it was about $60), then two "shed" windows, and a permanent vent above one of our gutters that is [now] covered in hardware cloth. (Our coop was in-progress in this picture)
View attachment 1790603
I didn't even consider an exhaust fan! I was trying to find solar powered fans, but everything appeared too dangerous or $200+...thanks for the info!

This is a way I added ventilation to a horrible prefab coop. It allows air to flow through without letting in rain or snow. I used plexiglass to double as a window. I should have used a bit bigger piece to reach all the way across but I had this on hand.if you have plenty of windows you could just use plywood. The idea is to hang this piece out away from the hardare cloth covered opening and long enough to stop just below the bottom most edge. I've seen others start by attaching 2x4s or thicker lumber around the top and side edges of the opening and attaching the plywood or other material to them. It's kind of a baffle thingy. Air flows without allow direct drafts or precipitation inside.
View attachment 1792073
I have never seen this before and I love it! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom