Show me your DIY transport/selling crates

Ironclay

Chirping
Dec 22, 2020
Ok, they aren't COOPS, but I still need to build me some and am considering ideas.

In two weeks, I'm taking my entire adult flock to a swap to sell. (I am changing breeds.)

The problem is -- I don't have any crates, and I don't like the idea of shoving them all into dog crates. It would be a nightmare trying to get one back out without another escaping.

I want to build single compartments. What's the minimum size for a single adult hen that would still be comfortable?

Ok, they aren't COOPS, but I still need to build me some and am considering ideas.

In two weeks, I'm taking my entire adult flock to a swap to sell. (I am changing breeds.)

The problem is -- I don't have any crates, and I don't like the idea of shoving them all into dog crates. It would be a nightmare trying to get one back out without another escaping.

I want to build single compartments. What's the minimum size for a single adult hen that would still be comfortable?
How long will they be in the compartments?

@CapricornFarm does a lot of swaps.
Yes I do. Depends on what type of bird and how many I have. I make quail cages out of hardware cloth, I use dog crates for adult chickens and rarely have a problem getting them out to sell. I take chicks in either cardboard boxes, or plastic bins. I use clear plastic bins, so the sun helps keep the chicks warm. Or hand warmers inside boxes. You can buy or make chicken crates that are not very tall so you can stack and take lots along. But I don't feel people get a good look at the birds crunched up like that. I wouldn't keep a hen in anything less than the size of a standard nest box, 12"×12", preferably bigger.

IMG_20200318_150943.jpg

I have transported in my brooder. It is 2'x4' and 2' tall with a split lid. The lid being split makes it easy to get single birds in or out as needed.

Having this around has made many things easier. Hospital in the coop yup works for that, adult bird transport yup good there, brooder in the house or in the coop yup good there as well.

They will be in there for half a day or so. Not even a full day. But they will be subjected to riding in the back of a truck and being be surrounded by people, so I am concerned about stress.

Yes I do. Depends on what type of bird and how many I have. I make quail cages out of hardware cloth, I use dog crates for adult chickens and rarely have a problem getting them out to sell. I take chicks in either cardboard boxes, or plastic bins. I use clear plastic bins, so the sun helps keep the chicks warm. Or hand warmers inside boxes. You can buy or make chicken crates that are not very tall so you can stack and take lots along. But I don't feel people get a good look at the birds crunched up like that. I wouldn't keep a hen in anything less than the size of a standard nest box, 12"×12", preferably bigger.
Thank you!

I was wanting to custom build something that I could stack and unstack, since I need to take about 10 of them, plus rabbits and chicks.

I wasn't even considering anything that small! Thank you for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom