Show me your duck pools/ponds!

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
I have 2 pekins that are about 4 weeks old and have outgrown the turtle sand box I have been using for them. Can yall show pics of your set ups? I've been looking at kiddie pools but I need to figure out how they will get in and out. Thank you so much šŸ„° PS I promise I clean their pool out everyday. Lol
20230730_172446.jpg

I use kiddie pools and double them up so that the edge is firm not floppy. Then I build them steps with paver stones and bricks both inside and outside the pool ,, outside in two spots, and inside in one.

This is how I have it set up atm. Still trying to find a way thatā€™s easier for them to get in and out. They are definitely growing out of the pool but we have a lake down the road that I take them too a couple times a week.

Attachments

• AF4FD65C-04F1-4C63-8178-0F12B8EF06D0.jpeg
    AF4FD65C-04F1-4C63-8178-0F12B8EF06D0.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 91430EAF-C7CB-45B0-A4AD-2193DDE89CD5.jpeg
    91430EAF-C7CB-45B0-A4AD-2193DDE89CD5.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 18
I also use a kiddie pool- for smaller ducks.

I set blocks of wood around it for easier access but they rarely use them.

Itā€™s actually a little helpful....because if I see someone using the wood instead of hopping over the side.... I go make sure their feet are ok lol
Itā€™s caught a few cases of bumblefoot early enough to not be a major problem over the last many years!

My next plan involves building a small deck for the pool, so I can install a larger pool with a drain and drain line to direct the gross water where I want it....
But my 5 Welsh Harlequins seem to be ok sharing a 42ā€ pool, and that is as large as I want to go for the every day (or every other day) dump, rinse, and clean that I need to do.
I always have a spare in case it cracks while dumping it. You canā€™t find them in the winter! Learned that lesson the hard way šŸ˜•
The drain would allow for a larger and deeper option. With a proper drain, you could even go ā€œwhole hogā€ and build the frame for a koi pond and install all kinds of fun things like a recirculating pump/ waterfall, natural looking surroundings, etc.
But whatever you decide on, you need to be able to dump or drain, clean, and re fill regularly.
....I guess it comes down to a combination of your budget and construction abilities, and what you feel will be best for your Pekins between the two.
I look forward to seeing what you decide to do šŸ˜Š

Not about duck pools, but should we be concernedā€¦. Dewey loves swimming. Would flap her wings all around and dive under the water. Yesterday and today, she is jumping out of the pool as soon as we put her in it. Not sure if we should be concerned, or if itā€™s because the weather isnā€™t as warm the past 2 days.

I started with the kiddie pool and you can see I made a ramp and also blocks for getting in and out - mine were clumsy so I made "railings" on the sides of the ramp. In their run we got a little pool and it drains outside. We later added the larger in ground pool which drains into a drainage hole at the end of the yard. It's a lot of cleaning, but worth it!

Attachments

• 20230703_081434.jpg
    20230703_081434.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0474.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG
    649.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom