Show me your handsome rooster

Cemani Farms has them listed for $175 per chick, up to $600 per adult.
(googling it was the first thing I did when I read his post ;) )
Truly fascinating looking fowl.
I sell them locally, $6 per chick, adult roosters are free when I have them because I end up with way too many of them and lack the resources to hold them until I get the right price. Asians take the free ones and eat them. They are easy to breed and do not consume any more food than any other breed. I see no reason to charge so much. The real reason why I sell them so cheap is that no one can tell if they are pure bred or not and I never gained a reputation as a breeder so I have to lower the price to where people would take the risk, and those who do end up with Mighty fine pure bred chicks after I separate the culls. I give the culls away.

I sell them locally, $6 per chick, adult roosters are free when I have them because I end up with way too many of them and lack the resources to hold them until I get the right price. Asians take the free ones and eat them. They are easy to breed and do not consume any more food than any other breed. I see no reason to charge so much. The real reason why I sell them so cheap is that no one can tell if they are pure bred or not and I never gained a reputation as a breeder so I have to lower the price to where people would take the risk, and those who do end up with Mighty fine pure bred chicks after I separate the culls. I give the culls away.
:eek::eek::eek:
I would drive to NC for $6 green fowl chicks!
So you have Green Jungle Fowl, Red Phoenixes...
What other wickedly cool breeds do you have?
Ever need a volunteer?!
Will work for chicks! :D

Do you have pictures of your green jungle fowl?

Do you have a website/facebook page?

Here is my main breeding Rooster for Ayam Cemanis
IMG_1457.JPG

He runs away and hides when he sees me, so pictures are very hard to get of him. He is currently in with Red Rangers to make black meat birds. Only the Females will have the FibroM trait though. Currently my 2nd Pure bred AC is with the AC Females in an attempt to prevent brothers and sisters mating down the road.

------
(The Fraudster!)
IMG_1462.JPG

This was the first AC rooster I ever had, turns out he is a mix. The female that came with him had black magic market on her comb that wore off a week later. I thought I had such a great deal. But I ended up using him to experiment with spreading the FibroM trait. Its hard to tell the difference. I found out he was a mix when all sorts of colors were hidden under his dominant black traits. Recessive traits that should not have been coming up when I bred his daughters back to him.
----------
To get decent priced hatching eggs from someone who is a reputable breeder you can use eBay and buy them from Shadeygrove farms in West Virginia, that is where I got my good ones. They got their original breeding stock from Greenfire farms.
This is why I sell mine cheap, its a risk buying from someone who has no reputation. It doesn't cost much to reproduce them but the cull rate is high... close to 50% so I charge double what I charge for for chicks.

I don't mail order or sell on BYC though, although I gladly trade hatching eggs with anyone who lives near by. I profit off the compost with my nursery and Chickens are just an educational hobby. Maybe in the future when I figure out how to get things right I might try a chicken operation for profit. For now I just sell chicks and Hens that just started laying to pay for chicken feed.

For now I just sell chicks and Hens that just started laying to pay for chicken feed.
Right now that's my main goal. This massive addiction needs to pay for itself! :D

I've got some O Shamo eggs on the way, and am really hoping those go well. There is a decent market here for any game fowl, sadly I would not trust most of the people who would be inquiring about them. I went through about 20 "breeders" till I actually found a preservationist who breed true to O Shamo standards.

IMG_0327.JPG

Silver Grey Dorking, one of the few chickens I got from a breeder. He was actually a cull that has some issue with his comb. I told the breeder I was only interested in using him to sire the chickens I eat. He is currently in a pen with his daughters that are half Red Ranger. Eventually after enough generations I will have a columbian patterned Dorking known as a Light Dorking. The legs may be a little long and they may mature a little sooner (affecting meat flavor) But I want to create some Light Dorkings.
He is actually one of my favorite roosters, super nice to the ladies, super calm, and he has such a long breast bone. His offspring have a lot of great white meat.

Back
Top Bottom