Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
A table outta wood from the 11ft pallets and an extra piece of OSB laying around. This will hold my nesting boxes off the ground and at egg collecting height!

Slapped it together in 45 min lol

Attachments

• 20221213_095807.jpg
    20221213_095807.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
My husband was a carpenter by trade so he had this idea for our wall in the sunroom .View attachment 3346853

I love the look of wooden walls. I'd really be tempted to build a pallet wood wall like yours, but we have our rec room already covered with tongue in groove knotty pine. Your wall looks really nice. Love the different colors and the nail holes for that rustic look. Great job!

set of 10 nesting boxes that someone gave to me!!!

Christmas came early for you, I guess! I wish I had "someones" like that in my life.

I left the bottom 24in or so open for now bc I can't decide if I wanna fill it in with steel wool first?!?

The plan was always to cover the bottom 24 in or so in hardwore cloth on the outside. BUT while pricing hardwire cloth I noticed steel wool....

I really don't know if steel wool would work or not. I am sure hardware cloth would work, but we all know that hardware cloth is rather expensive.

Have you considered filling those areas with pallet wood? I would think it would take a mouse a very long time to chew threw 3 inches of pallet wood filler. And, if they did, you could just replace with more pallet wood. Probably buy you enough time to see if rodents are even going to be a problem for you.

I had a few mice move into my chicken coop this winter. Not a big deal for me because my feeder is suspended on a chain up off the floor. I don't think any mice can get to the feed. They might have to scrounge around on the floor looking for bits and pieces that might have fallen out of the feeder and that the chickens did not eat. I have one of those tincat mouse traps that catches mice alive. If I had to trap mice in the coop, that is what I would use. No snapping traps around the chickens.

1670993840488.png

:confused::tongue I watch a YouTube video last night on the many different ways to build raised beds, because that is the kind of stuff I am interested in these days. At some point in the video, the guy said you should never use treated wood or pallet wood to make raised beds.

What? Treated wood has been safe for food gardens for many years, but I am old enough to remember the days when the arsenic treated wood was not safe. They don't use arsenic anymore in treated wood. Which is good. But the "treated" wood today does not last as long, either. So, not good in that aspect.

Concerning pallet wood for raised food garden beds... I feel completely safe using the pallets I have which are all stamped as HT - heat treated. No chemicals in that process. Obviously, if you pick up some pallets that have oils or other toxic liquids spilled on them, then they should not be used for a food garden. Frankly, I'd just take a hard pass on any pallets that might look contaminated to me. But it's never been an issue where I get my pallets. They have all been free of any chemical spills and such.

:smackNo link given for that bogus video, which I disagree with wholeheartedly.

I realize that someone attempting to meet "organic" quality standards might have more concerns about reclaimed wood, but I'm not in that category. I will be building some more pallet wood raised food garden beds this spring and will let you know if I get poisoned, or not. I'm not concerned.

🤔🤔 Can you reuse pallet wood nails you removed? How do you straighten out a bent nail?

On my to-do list is reusing some of the nails I removed from my pallet wood breakdowns. I have half a bucket full of nails with some potential to be reused. Is it worth your time and effort to "fix" those bent nails so they can be reused? Probably not, but I would still like to complete an entire pallet wood project using 100% reclaimed nails or screws. Anyways, I found a short YouTube video on how to straighten out bent nails just like the way grandpa taught me.

:caf So, do you think it's worth your time and effort to salvage those bent nails?

:old Back in the day, I did not know that you could buy straight nails from a store! Grandpa had us pounding out all those nails and reusing them. You would not make a trip to town just to buy nails from the hardware store. And none of our builds ever fell apart! Just wondering if anyone here still pounds out bent nails and reuses them in your projects. Later....

Back
Top Bottom