Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Nothing major today. Prepped some more pallets to continue the turkey tower tomorrow. Also made a few of these...(I stapled feed bags bahahaha yay!) I am integrating a new cockerel to my flock of laying pullet, and I wanted a few hiding places. This is the simplest. So maybe I didn't build it but i wanted to share incase it helps someone else clutter up their run for integration.

Also, meet Johnny!!! Bantam Cochin cockerel

Attachments

• 20221004_161138.jpg
    20221004_161138.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized_20221004_131711.jpeg
    Resized_20221004_131711.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
:tongue Well, only about 1 out of 20 pallets are like the one I just posted with the pics. Most of my pallets are old and in tough shape, with 4-5 nails in each stud, and usually extra bracing on the 2X4 studs because the original 2X4 has broken.

:caf Do you break down your pallets? If so, what method do you use given your tools on hand?

My main method of breaking down pallets is using a circular saw and cutting off the planks along the 2X4 stretchers. That gives me nail-free plank pieces about 18-20 inches long, which I then cut down to about 16 inches for my planter and raised garden bed projects. Then, I typically knock off the remaining plank ends from the 2X4's and pull the nails out of the 2X4's so I can use the nail-free 2X4's in other projects.

Sometimes I use the Sawzall method, but I don't like leaving cut off nails in the 2X4 studs unless I have a project where I can use the entire 4 foot long 2X4 stud without cutting it. But, I just got a demolition blade for my circular saw to cut through wood and nails, so maybe I'll start using the Sawzall method more.

I always try to use whole pallets or cut in half. I usually find europallets that have the same size (0,8x1,2 m).

Also made a few of these...(I stapled feed bags bahahaha yay!) I am integrating a new cockerel to my flock of laying pullet, and I wanted a few hiding places. This is the simplest. So maybe I didn't build it but i wanted to share incase it helps someone else clutter up their run for integration.

:thumbsup As far as I'm concerned, pallet projects don't have to be complicated. I think stapling some feed bags on a pallet to make a hiding place for the chickens is a good use of both the pallet and those old feed bags that we all have sitting around the house looking a second purpose. Good for you.

Also, meet Johnny!!! Bantam Cochin cockerel

Pretty boy! Looks like the girls are interested.

I always try to use whole pallets or cut in half. I usually find europallets that have the same size (0,8x1,2 m).

That is what initially got me into pallet projects. I was using whole pallets to make compost bins. Then I started using half pallets in some projects. I think if you get pallets all of the same size, then you can do more with those whole pallets. Unfortunately, the pallets I am getting lately are not uniform in size so I am breaking down the pallets to use the wood in rebuild projects.

However, your post got me to thinking about using half pallets in a project. What popped into my mind was getting a couple of pallets, cutting them in half, and making a 4X4 raised garden bed. I think I would just use a board on board style to fill the gaps between the planks and call it a day. Fast, simple, and perfectly functional. I've got some other projects on my short list, but I think I'll add that half pallet raised garden bed to my long term projects. Thanks for planting (pun intended) that idea into my head.

Speaking of feed bags... I stapled one to the outside of the run door to add some more windbreak down at chicken level. Feed bags have a lot of uses. Their sturdy, tough, fairly waterproof, and free with each bag of chicken feed you buy. :)

:confused: You know, I have been saving all my feed bags for some project, someday, for something. To date, the only thing I have used my feed bags for is to cut them open and use them as a workbench cover when I glue up some boards. If glue drips down on the feed bag and it gets messy, I just throw it away.

I know some people turn feed bags into totes. But I'm not so good at sewing and I don't really want to carry a "man" bag around, even if it has a picture of a nice chicken on it.

However, your post got me to thinking about using half pallets in a project. What popped into my mind was getting a couple of pallets, cutting them in half, and making a 4X4 raised garden bed. I think I would just use a board on board style to fill the gaps between the planks and call it a day. Fast, simple, and perfectly functional. I've got some other projects on my short list, but I think I'll add that half pallet raised garden bed to my long term projects. Thanks for planting (pun intended) that idea into my head.
This exact thing is on my list. I wanna do a few raised beds. And bc I don't break down pallets, this is how I thought to do it.

Project for another time, as focus is the turkey tower then getting the pallet fence painted for around the garden.
I know some people turn feed bags into totes. But I'm not so good at sewing and I don't really want to carry a "man" bag around, even if it has a picture of a nice chicken on it.
I can sew 🤔🤔🤔
This isn't an awful idea. I could always use more reusable grocery bags!
Pretty boy! Looks like the girls are interested
Thanks!! And they are so interested imma turn Johnny loose this afternoon and see how they get along!

Speaking of feed bags... I stapled one to the outside of the run door to add some more windbreak down at chicken level. Feed bags have a lot of uses. Their sturdy, tough, fairly waterproof, and free with each bag of chicken feed you buy. :)
I am actually considering using feed bags as wind block in my turkey coop.

Turkeys are super cold hardy so I no longer plan to completely enclose the coop. But make one side blocked by the wind...feed bags def came to mind vs the price of lumber.

I have a few pieces of osb laying around figured I'd use that on the absolute worse side of the wind

Back
Top Bottom