Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
A bit more work on the turkey tower. I gotta get hubby to help when he comes home ...

I had a plan to tie it all in together and secure it...but I don't know that it'll actually work...so he's gonna look at it for me before we go any further

Attachments

• 20221005_140227.jpg
    20221005_140227.jpg
    866.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221005_140240.jpg
    20221005_140240.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221005_123554.jpg
    20221005_123554.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 5
One more of Johnny
Edit to add:
Johnny is a REAL cutie! :love

Speaking of feed bags... I stapled one to the outside of the run door to add some more windbreak down at chicken level. Feed bags have a lot of uses. Their sturdy, tough, fairly waterproof, and free with each bag of chicken feed you buy. :)

I cut the bags in half and use them for nest box liners. Easy to remove and pop in another if I have a broken egg or at clean out time.

I can sew 🤔🤔🤔
This isn't an awful idea. I could always use more reusable grocery
bags!

Google, I'm sure you'll find examples and probably patterns!

I think I remember a thread a while ago about feed bag uses. 🤔

@gtaus I like that pallet work bench you built. Good deal on the wheels! Those will make the bench even more useful. 😊

:clapLooks like you struck gold! Those pallets look in better shape than most of what I find.

:popSo, are you picking them up to make something...or are you just teasing us who wish we had pallets like that?
i guess the latter. building with pallets isn’t my style, though i did use a couple to keep my firewood off the ground. i just figured you’d all enjoy seeing that treasure trove.

that’s a commercial property that i own. they make polystyrene food containers and get 10-12 pallets of blanks delivered daily.

This exact thing is on my list. [use half pallets to make raised beds] I wanna do a few raised beds. And bc I don't break down pallets, this is how I thought to do it.

🤔 I went outside to my pallet piles this morning to visualize what a half pallet raised bed garden would like coming together.

Most of my pallets are 48 inches long by 40 inches wide. The studs are 48 inches long. The middle stretcher is exactly dead center at 20 inches. Since I want to cut the pallets in half and use the board on board style, the planks would have to be vertical on the raised bed. My initial thought was to cut alongside the middle stud, giving me 2 halves, one half would be about 21 inches wide and the other half would be about 19 inches wide. The 19 inch wide half would not have a stud on the planks, so I would have to put one on at the end, but would not be a problem.

Anyway, if I can find 4 pallets of the same design, I could easily make 2 raised beds - one raised bed at 21 inches high and the other raised bed at 19 inches high. Square those up to make the 4X4 foot raised beds, and then just add the board on board style to fill the gaps. Done and done! In my mind, very easy.

OK, so that plan is tucked away for now because I have other projects I want to do first.

:old Currently, my raised garden beds in the backyard are all 16 inches high. But I'm not stuck on that size. In any case, when I make the half pallet raised beds which will be a little taller than my current beds, I'll just add more hügelkultur wood to the bottom as fill. I have had pretty good success filling only the top 6-8 inches of my raised beds with actual soil and compost. Everything below is rotting wood and organics as fill.

If you don't want to break down pallets at all, I suppose you could cut off the pallets the other way, at 24 inches long, and just make the raised bed 40X40 inches and 24 inches tall. The planks would be horizontal, but you could still use the board on board style to cover the gaps between the planks. At least, cutting the pallet in half that way, you would not have to add an additional stud to the pallet halves. Easier way to make a raised bed. I might try that design too.

i just figured you’d all enjoy seeing that treasure trove.

Yep, that was certainly a nice stack of pallets. Hope they get used, or reused and not just thrown into a landfill.

BTW, I picked up a few more pallets at an auto store and a paint store. The managers were more than happy to see me take them and use them. To keep it simple, I just said that I planned on making some compost bins for the garden. Everyone understands pallet wood compost bins. One pallet, at the paint store, was 9-1/2 feet long! Good wood on that pallet. Also, at the auto store, I got a 7 foot pallet that had lots of good wood on it. Since I break down most of my pallets, I usually look to see if I can salvage long pieces of wood for projects, both the studs and the planks.

A bit more work on the turkey tower. I gotta get hubby to help when he comes home ...

I had a plan to tie it all in together and secure it...but I don't know that it'll actually work...so he's gonna look at it for me before we go any further

I am loving the pictures of your progress. I hope to make a pallet shed next year, so I am looking closely at your build. Thanks.

Question: It appears to me that you added 2X4 caps to the ends of the pallets, which are vertical in the pictures. That seems to make sense to me because they then form a vertical support beam when screwed together. So, am I seeing that you have the pallets screwed together both vertically and horizontally? Also, I was thinking that if you used the board on board style with vertical planks on the outside, maybe you could add additional strength to the building by putting your inside support boards on the horizontal - overlapping the seams where the pallets meet for greater strength.

At any rate, when you decide what is the best way to tie it all together and secure it, be sure to update your posts and let me know what you decided was the best option. Nothing like actually building something to see if it works.

@gtaus I like that pallet work bench you built. Good deal on the wheels! Those will make the bench even more useful. 😊

I'm really happy with that pallet workbench. I got lucky and salvaged two 6 foot long pallets with good wood and immediately saw my new workbench!

As to the wheels, I mentioned before that I bought a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight for $10.00 on sale, removed the wheels from the dolly, and put them on my workbench. Believe it or not, it is cheaper to buy the complete dolly on sale to take off the wheels then spending ~$5.00 per wheel if bought separately.

1665021472948.png

Those dollies are currently selling for $13.99, but next week HF has another sale on them at $10.00 each. I plan on buying 3 or 4 more of those dollies. I found a YouTube video on making modular workbenches, each 2X4 feet, with holes drilled into 2X4s on the sides and ends so you can bolt the workbenches together in any number of configurations. The original build design uses 3/4 inch plywood tops, but I am trying to figure out how to make it a smooth top with pallet planks. :confused:

Well, so far, my idea is to run the pallet planks through my planer to get them all the same thickness. That would make the top smooth. I ordered a metal scanner from Amazon and that is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'll have to carefully scan all my wood for metal before I run it through the planer. I am hoping I have enough 3/4 inch thick planks that I can plane down maybe 5/8 inches thick - all the same thickness - which should make a nice smooth top.

My backup option is to just put down whatever thickness planks I have and use the workbenches with tops that are not smooth. If I ever wanted to "upgrade" the bench top, I could then buy some 3/4 inch plywood at that time. With winter coming on, it's more important for me to build the modular workbenches and get shelves in them to store my stuff. They will be used as mobile storage as well as workbenches.

Anyway, each 2X4 foot modular workbench would need wheels. These HF wheels I take off the dollies are good enough for inside the garage where I have a good cement floor.

Back
Top Bottom