Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Well, I mentioned that I found an interesting YouTube video on making modular workbenches. I can make most of the workbench with pallet wood, but am still trying to figure out if I can make a smooth bench top with pallet planks that are not all the same thickness. If not, I might buy some 3/4 inch plywood just for the tops of the workbench.

Anyway, the video is less than 15 minutes long, if you are interested in a modular workbench idea for your garage it's worth watching. Bonus: the workbenches can also be used as mobile storage carts by adding shelves and/or drawers. Since I have limited room in my garage, wheels on these 2X4 modular carts/workbenches will allow me to put them out of the way when I garage my cars.

Ultimate Modular Workbench: A Design for Everyone​

:caf Let me know if you have any ideas on using pallet planks for the top of the workbench and getting them smooth and level. I'm thinking of running all the planks for the workbench top through my planer and try to end up with maybe 5/8 inch thick boards. But if anyone else has other thoughts, I would love to hear any suggestions.

At any rate, when you decide what is the best way to tie it all together and secure it, be sure to update your posts and let me know what you decided was the best option. Nothing like actually building something to see if it works
I will take pictures tomorrow, but I am tying it together same as I did the goat garage (only slightly better bc we learn when we build lol), 2x4s at the top.

I can not explain it, so I'll show you in pictures tomorrow.

We just did one tonight and it already has made it tighter and less wobbly if you will.

ETA. I did not think as in depth as you on capping off the end of the pallets. I couldn't think of another way attach them together with the way I wanted the pallets to set. I like the way you think better 😆. I did screw them in vertically (2×4 to 2x4) and horizontally (pallet to pallet) I also toenailed from top to bottom (2×4 to 2x4) if that makes sense

I can not explain it, so I'll show you in pictures tomorrow.

We just did one tonight and it already has made it tighter and less wobbly if you will.

Thanks. that's what I want to learn. Like I said, I have built sheds, garages, and additions to houses using standard construction methods, but I have yet to make a pallet build as large as a shed. Want to make sure if I build a pallet shed that it will not fall down on me!

Ok so more work on the tower. It now feels like a solid unit. So when I put the 2x4s around the top. I make the one on the front long enough to cover the corner of the pallet of the L side wall (looking at the structure) screw it into the pallet in the corner of the left side wall and across the top.(cutting 3.5 inches so your last 2x4 fits snug on the corner of the front wall) The I put a 2x4 on the left side and make it long enough to cover the corner on the back screw the 2x4 into the corner of the back wall and along the left side. On the back wall you want your 2x4 to start next to the one that's screwed to the back (coming from the L side) and make it long enough to cover the right side corner. Screw it in, ..same on the right side. It should start at the last 2x4 you screwed in and meet with the front corner. Your corners should look like the pic below (minus the bowing 🙄🙄🙄)

I will suggest if you build a shed. Level the ground first. Nothing is square on my build despite how hard i had tried. Will it be acceptable..well yes. Am I disappointed, no. I knew it was an uphill battle bc I didn't want to tear up the ground. Will it be functional...yep.. as a Turkey Tower and likely a shed in the later years (if it stands lol.) It is solid so I am not upset at all. Plus, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING BAHAHAHHA!!)

This is where we are at ...
We also have other braces up. The majority of these walls will be covered in feed bags and then a tarp. I rather like that idea bc I can see any critters making homes in the walls from the outside. Along with, costs honestly. And the fact that turkeys literally don't need much. Wind block, a shelter from the elements, a roost and food...and of course plenty of room to stretch lol.

If I later want to go and actually block off the walls with wood. I can do that, but for now..not necessary.

(The pic makes it look so bad, it's the camera on my phone giving it that wonky angle type look (the zoom out mode)..it only takes pics in that mode anymore...so lame!)

Attachments

• 20221006_121917.jpg
    20221006_121917.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221006_124453.jpg
    20221006_124453.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221006_124927.jpg
    20221006_124927.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 3
Ok so more work on the tower. It now feels like a solid unit.

That's good. A solid build should last for years.

I will suggest if you build a shed. Level the ground first.

:lau Every time I think I can save some time by not leveling the ground first for something, I usually regret it in no time. If I build a shed, I will certainly level the ground first.

It is solid so I am not upset at all. Plus, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING BAHAHAHHA!!)

Solid is good and the turkeys won't much care after that anyways. I bet you have learned a lot on this build. It looks like you know what you are doing, at least to me who has never built a pallet shed.

Looking forward to your roofing. Where I live, we spend lots of money on the roofing because it has to carry a heavy snow load. Interested to see what you come up with for your roof.

That's good. A solid build should last for years.
Hopefully! Lol
:lau Every time I think I can save some time by not leveling the ground first for something, I usually regret it in no time. If I build a shed, I will certainly level the ground first.
I don't know of I was saving time per say. I just knew I wanted them to have a dirt floor, and leveling is NOT my thing.
Solid is good and the turkeys won't much care after that anyways. I bet you have learned a lot on this build. It looks like you know what you are doing, at least to me who has never built a pallet shed.
I have learned a ton...like level the floor bahahaha...naaa seriously. I told hubby of I were to do it again I'd use 8ft long 2x4s and attach them to 2 pallets at a time so the 2x4s are one piece...screw them in pallet to pallet THEN erect the wall. That takes 2 people and hubs is a busy man lol...but yes...ive learned a few things!!! Like don't buy wood from the guy in town it's all warped lol
Looking forward to your roofing. Where I live, we spend lots of money on the roofing because it has to carry a heavy snow load. Interested to see what you come up with for your roof.
The roof will be slanted and be metal. Right now we a few trying to decide of we can do just metal on rafters or do we need plywood first. Hubs will help me with this as I SUCK at getting the correct angle for the roof. I have 4 pieces of 12ft long 3.5 ft wide metal I bought for 60 bucks....its just been sitting in the back yard...this is the build to use it on lol

I told hubby of I were to do it again I'd use 8ft long 2x4s and attach them to 2 pallets at a time so the 2x4s are one piece...screw them in pallet to pallet THEN erect the wall. That takes 2 people and hubs is a busy man lol...but yes...ive learned a few things!!! Like don't buy wood from the guy in town it's all warped lol

:clap These are the types of suggestions that I find most helpful. Although I have some pallets that have 8 foot long 2X4's, most of my pallets are 4 feet, of course. If I was building a shed, and needed 8 foot long boards, then I would put them in my budget and buy them at the lumber yard. I'm all for pallet projects, but I don't limit myself to using 100% pallet material. And, your comments are reinforcing my initial thinking that I want to use some standard lumber to frame up the structure and use the pallets to fill in everything. From what you report, it sounds like you built the structure first with pallets, then realized you realized you needed longer boards to support the build. Did I get that right?

You might want to start a list of lessons learned and someday post them to the forum! If not, at least a good list like that will help you on the next build and you can remember to pass that valuable learning experience along to the minors when they get old enough to understand. My grandpa taught me many lessons in construction, but some lessons had to be taught over and over a few times as I got older.

🤔 Until you work with something hands on, some lessons don't sink in. If you know what I mean....

I have 4 pieces of 12ft long 3.5 ft wide metal I bought for 60 bucks....its just been sitting in the back yard...this is the build to use it on lol

I'm all in in using and reusing whatever building material a person has available. Sometimes I have to think and rethink an approach to the build, but I just take my time and try to use my reclaimed material any way I can.

FYI, my chicken coop build used about 50% reclaimed lumber and 50% new purchases. I'm OK with using reclaimed lumber to cut down my project costs, but sometimes I do have to go the lumber yard and buy the material I need. Like you, I don't have too many long boards in my reclaimed/pallet wood lumber.

Speaking of hidden nails, I found this metal scanner wand on Amazon for less than $20.00.

View attachment 3277920

Honestly, I suspect all these metal scanners are made at the same factory in China and just rebranded for the seller. Anyways, this wand on Amazon is half the price as the one from Harbor Freight, so I think I'm going to order from Amazon and try it out. All of them look like cheap plastic toys. However, there was one reviewer who said it worked great (4 stars) for finding nails in his pallet wood. Obviously, that caught my attention.

Just a quick follow up on that post. I received my metal scanner yesterday around supper time. I put a battery in it this morning and tested it out on some of my pallet wood lumber. It immediately detected some hidden nails and screws in my wood that I did not see! Very nice! The nails were easy to take out, but the broken screw buried into the lumber is a real pain in the behind. I'll probably end up using that lumber where that hidden screw will not matter. I'll just mark the wood with chalk or something so that i don't cut it at that point or run that wood through a planer. My goal is to detect any hidden metal in the boards, and then decide if it's worth my time to remove the item or use that wood for a different project.

1665155807702.png

As to the quality of the metal scanner.... Well, it's just a cheap plastic item. I don't think it would survive a drop. So, you better be careful with this scanner. Having said that, this scanner was less than $20 and I don't think you can realistically believe it was built to be tossed around.

The generic instruction manual was obviously printed to cover a number of different models. The model number of this unit was printed in a different font and size than the rest of the instruction manual. Not a big deal, but you know that the manual is not specific to the unit you purchased. Also, the instruction manual talked about a feature that my scanner does not have, and left out a button on my scanner which was not included in the manual. On the plus side, considering this unit comes from China, the manual was translated into English very well and was easy to read. Not too many features on these metal scanners to worry about anyway.

So, on Day One of use, I'll give this inexpensive metal scanner a 5 star rating, considering the cost of the unit and performance of finding hidden metal in the lumber that I myself did not see. I'll just write off the expense of this scanner over the life of the warranty, and if lasts longer than that, I'll be more than happy. Amazon return period on this item is 30 days, no stated warranty on the item after that. So, consider that before you make a purchase as I don't expect that Chinese company to be around, say a year from now, if the unit fails.

In comparison, the Cen-Tech scanner from Harbor Freight costs $40.00 and only has a 90 day warranty.

1665155509437.png

As far as I can tell, they are basically the same. Probably will work good until you drop them, then you will have to replace it.

Attachments

• 1665155758844.png
    1665155758844.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 2
These are the types of suggestions that I find most helpful. Although I have some pallets that have 8 foot long 2X4's, most of my pallets are 4 feet, of course. If I was building a shed, and needed 8 foot long boards, then I would put them in my budget and buy them at the lumber yard. I'm all for pallet projects, but I don't limit myself to using 100% pallet material. And, your comments are reinforcing my initial thinking that I want to use some standard lumber to frame up the structure and use the pallets to fill in everything. From what you report, it sounds like you built the structure first with pallets, then realized you realized you needed longer boards to support the build. Did I get that right?
So, initially I just figured add 40in 2x4 to each side of each pallet so I can connect them. After getting it up, my thought was...why did I not screw in an 80in piece into both sides of 2 pallets and connect them before erecting....it was an after thought, but if I did it again that's how I'd do it.
You might want to start a list of lessons learned and someday post them to the forum! If not, at least a good list like that will help you on the next build and you can remember to pass that valuable learning experience along to the minors when they get old enough to understand. My grandpa taught me many lessons in construction, but some lessons had to be taught over and over a few times as I got older.

🤔 Until you work with something hands on, some lessons don't sink in. If you know what I mean....
I tend to remember things I learned the hard way...in fact I am incredulous good at learning the hard way and doing it right the next time bahahaha...

Not that this is wrong...it would have just made more sense to connect prior to erecting.

I'll try to post what I think of or lessons learned when I learn them 🤣🤣🤣
I'm all in in using and reusing whatever building material a person has available. Sometimes I have to think and rethink an approach to the build, but I just take my time and try to use my reclaimed material any way I can.
Me too...but I am not opposed to buying lumber either..

My chicken coop is also a mix of bought and reused wood 😉😉

I don't always have the right size on hand and I suck at rethinking designs lol

Back
Top Bottom