Show me your poop traps!

I love my painted poop boards. I can do a poop glance or inspect when needed. I scrape into a dustpan and it goes straight into the compost bin pretty much daily. I can go for as long as I want to deal with. I also dust my boards w/ DE for mites, flies, ease of scrape, smells. I scrub clean every so many months or as needed/wanted.
Boards are not sexy or for the faint of heart but they really work for me on many levels.
I do the same thing when I'm cleaning poo, give it a good look to see if anything looks off

I'm getting sick of cleaning poop the hard way! I'm ready to upgrade and simplify! I haven't seen to many poop catchers aside from a hanging tarp, so what are my options? What do you use!?
Wood chips and sometimes mix with Canadian Peat Moss.. add layer, add layer,, add layer a shovel and wheelbarrow.. Usually no bad words.. That's the poo.

My main hen coop is raised and has a 1 inch wire mesh floor. I have placed corrugated sheet metal sheets under the coop, slightly overlapping. Once a season I use a board with a hook on it, screw the sheet metal end to the board and put a chain on the hook and to the back of my yard tractor. I then pull the sheet around the apple orchard on low speed and shovel off a scoop here and there to fertilize the trees. It is a two person job but no one has to shovel out the whole coop.

My other 'ground' coops get turned over with a pitch fork and fresh bedding added. I try my best not to buy bedding for this. I have a ton of large fir trees on my land so I rake up all the dead needles from under the trees and put that in the coop and turn it over anytime it gets compacted. Also if you know any tree removal people ask them to dump their chipper loads for you. It makes great bedding.

I guess your right. It's just part of having chickens! Lol. Guess i just have to suck it up and deal with it, right?
I think it helps if you have raised kids or are actively raising lol??? I mean kids manage to get you over the shock value of getting pooped and barfed on so I though chickens were actually kinda cool cuz they don't rebel and they leave you an egg.

20210416_162741.jpg

I don't have a pic of it in use but here's one of my husband installing it. We had some extra tin so we cut it to fit. Poop scrapes right off (when dry) and I use it for compost.

I think it helps if you have raised kids or are actively raising lol??? I mean kids manage to get you over the shock value of getting pooped and barfed on so I though chickens were actually kinda cool cuz they don't rebel and they leave you an egg.
I have 4 kids so I'm very well used to it i suppose.. My 3 year old, just today, shit on the porch 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom