Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics

Just thought I'd share our pen design. It is much like everyone else. You can see the ramp that lets eggs gently roll forward.

What did you use for the floor for the eggs to roll on?
How much of an angle does everyone have to make their eggs roll without cracking when they get to the end.

Thanks,

How much of an angle does everyone have to make their eggs roll without cracking when they get to the end.

Thanks,
It won't crack if you put something soft on the end to buffer it. Add a strip of pink foam, a thin draft stopper (can DIY one), etc.

Thanks,
I used 1/2 inch mesh for the like you can see on the sides. The poop falls right thru onto newspaper. It actually does a decent job of slowing the roll of the egg. One, because the wire mesh slows it down. Second, the wire mesh has an ever so slight sag in it (even after pulling it taught and is barely noticeable), which slows it down. As for the angle, I can't remember the exact angle, but it is basically 1/2 to 1 inch over 24 inches, which is basically 1 or 2 degrees. I have the pens divided into 2x2x2 foot sections. Have had zero cracked eggs.

I'm new to raising quail and this forum.

Here is my pen / Condo.

The idea was to make it look nice for neighbors and visitors.

Beautiful. I want to see an update of this in 2 years when the quails had a good run of it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom