Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
Beautiful. I want to see an update of this in 2 years when the quails had a good run of it.
wink.png
Yes, It has been a month since the photo was taken.

Quail remind me of my college room mates. They toss food everywhere, go to the bathroom anywhere, and don't pick up after themselves. They think I'm their maid!
roll.png

Quail remind me of my college room mates. They toss food everywhere, go to the bathroom anywhere, and don't pick up after themselves. They think I'm their maid!
roll.png
Haha, noted.

[/URL]
Best pic I have right now but I
Have 2 grow out pens 10' by 4' and a layer pen 10'x4' with a slanted floor. I have a 10x20 building I am using as a brood house with 5 seperate brooders
Do you have any problems with them fighting having so many in one long pen?

This is my brood house
Love the idea! How is clean up?
What is the pipe at the bottom of the pen?
I'm new to raising quail and this forum.

Here is my pen / Condo.

The idea was to make it look nice for neighbors and visitors.

Very sharp looking!

roll.png
Yeah they do. And it's not just quail. Chickens, quail, chukars, turkeys, kids....yeah the list goes on LOL

Swords, that is a nice idea w/ an outside feeder trough. There's two potential issues I see with it though:

1) The little bits of metal poking down at the gaps. I'd clip them closer & file smoother so they don't scrape the top of their heads.
2) The gaps for their feeding area leave ample room for a snake or even a rodent (mink/weasel maybe) to slither inside. At worse, more than enough room for a raccoon to reach in & grab their legs/heads (which they do eagerly).

Other than those concerns, very good idea. Seems like a cleaner way to feed them.

Last edited:
These guys have the best pen set up i have seen for growing out
http://www.quailranch-ok.com/flight_pen_design.html
it's a bit large for the hobby producer but you could always scale down

At one time i had online plans for a breeder pen where the eggs rolled out on a sloped wire mesh floor 4 feet deep. I think i could make something like that that would work well for egg gathering.

http://www.quailranch-ok.com/water_system.html
is really quite amazing to me and if i ever get very big i would have to try this water system out.

How would you clean up all their poop? Wouldn't it build up over time on the ground...not like you can pick up and move that cage...I'm new and learning here :/

Swords, that is a nice idea w/ an outside feeder trough. There's two potential issues I see with it though:

1) The little bits of metal poking down at the gaps. I'd clip them closer & file smoother so they don't scrape the top of their heads.
2) The gaps for their feeding area leave ample room for a snake or even a rodent (mink/weasel maybe) to slither inside. At worse, more than enough room for a raccoon to reach in & grab their legs/heads (which they do eagerly).

Other than those concerns, very good idea. Seems like a cleaner way to feed them.
Swords, another thing, I was curious as to why you put the feed tray so low? I'm about to re-model one of my pens, and I'm adding a feed trough like yours, but it would be 3 inches above the floor, making it easier for the birds to eat from.

Back
Top Bottom