1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show me your quails!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quails1, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Anaheim

Anaheim Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Yeah
    You guys are right I meant to say gamble quails sorry about that

2. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they very messy? How often do you clean their coop/cage? Are they outside?

3. Anaheim

Sep 1, 2015
    NOT REALLY I BEEN HAVING THEM FOR 5 MONTHS NOW AND I HAVEN'T CLEANED THEIR CAGE I HAVE THEM OUT SIDE ON THE DIRT WITH MY JAPANESE QUAILS & THEY LOOK REALLY HAPPY THEY LOVE TO BE ON DIRT HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THEM AND THEY GET ALONG REALLY WELL WITH MY JAPANESE QUAILS.

4. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    He and his mother both always look like that, even when they first hatched. They also have trouble walking and stumble allot because they are so heavy, they are 2 or 3 times the weight of the other quails. His father is quite heavy as well.

5. LeafBlade12345

Wait, you haven't cleaned their cage in FIVE MONTHS? That is awesome! Isn't there a lot of poop lying around though?

6. Anaheim

Sep 1, 2015
    No its pretty clean :) & I also have bobwhite quails but on a different cage and it's also pretty clean I will post some pic tomorrow so u can see that it's not messy I had them in a small cage the first week that I got them and it was really messy thats why I build a bigger cage on the dirt and it work I don't have to worry about cleaning their cage every week :))

7. LeafBlade12345

Awesome! I'm sure you are taking great care of them! Are their eggs good? Do you feel as if keeping them on dirt is better than on wire? Thank you!

8. Anaheim

Sep 1, 2015
    :)yeah their good :) I feel dirt is better then wire I feel like they lay more on dirt than wire .

9. LeafBlade12345

Hmm...are your cages aesthetically appealing? We don't want something ugly on our property...

10. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Raised them over sand and wire both for years. No difference really in the thrift or health of the bird. Being big on nature id like to think there was but having seen for myself, there isnt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by