Show me your Runs!...please 😇

The run is really only used when things like this happen and the chickens choose not to tunnel out:View attachment 2569062
Otherwise, it is just an extension of the coop. It's 12'x28' with a solid roof and a 4'x8' extension off the back that houses the dust bathing area. When physically possible, they spend their day inside their pen. It is fenced in with poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt/1.2 Joule output charger. The total area is about 1/3 acre.
View attachment 2569060
But the coop also has a build-in brooder/maternity ward and 4'x8' outdoor area.
View attachment 2569059
And I installed branches along the back of the run so the flock can preen and hang out there while they wait for me to let them out.View attachment 2569061
I'm really impressed with the thought you put into this.

My run is made with cow panels. I deliberately fenced it around a tree stump so I could make roosts for them in it and also added a chicken swing (which even my 1 yr old hens still use). The panels are held in place with steel fence stakes (T-posts). The entire thing is wrapped in 1/4" and 1/2" hardware cloth (also buried 12" below ground level to deter predators that would try to dig in). Then I also added plastic greenhouse panels to the top and a heavy duty tarp to offer some protection from the rain. There is also a galvanized bucket they use for dust bathing. It is 8' wide and just shy of 6' tall at the highest point in the center. I also elevated my coop so they have run space under that as well. With this entire set up, they have about 128 sq ft of space to run around in. Although I still free-range them frequently, I usually keep them in the run/coop until later in the day when I am home as I like to be outside when they are out due to hawks and other predators we have around.

Attachments

• 0325211517a.jpg
    0325211517a.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 26
My run. Not sure how big it is. I've rehung the blue tarp and removed the big one. I hope to divide the run in half when I move my chicks outside. I also have a rabbit hutch I plan to move in there.
IMG_20210310_152057732.jpg
IMG_20210310_152439629.jpg

My run is made with cow panels. I deliberately fenced it around a tree stump so I could make roosts for them in it and also added a chicken swing (which even my 1 yr old hens still use). The panels are held in place with steel fence stakes (T-posts). The entire thing is wrapped in 1/4" and 1/2" hardware cloth (also buried 12" below ground level to deter predators that would try to dig in). Then I also added plastic greenhouse panels to the top and a heavy duty tarp to offer some protection from the rain.
That's awesome! So jealous that you're able to get cow panels!

Not sure which middle part your talking about... the arrow in black is the door, the blue is extra support for bird netting over the top. If that makes sense...? Sorry that your week has been rough! :hugs View attachment 2582773
Thanks so much! :)
Boy was I ever tired!! I was missing the door completely and thought the support beams inside was the door opening inwards! Someone knock me out with a frying pan please!

Hello Friends,

I was just curious to see your guy's Runs! How big, clutter, and set up.
Maybe to get some ideas for roofs and adding extra clutter (logs, old ladders, boulders, etc.)

Imitation is the finest form of flattery as they say. My run is done but adding onto or to it itself.

Mine is a 12W×48L (576sqft) I have some very old fallen cut trees with the branches attached. They have been dug and stuck into the ground with some rather large boulders (perks of working in a Landscaping company) I will be adding two grazing boxes with various types of vegetation growing for them to have access to. And a tin barrier along the bottom half of the run covering about half of it up until the bend in the elbow if you will. Going to be also putting in a small covered area next to the automatic chicken door. That way they can have a deep shade and protection against wind, rain, and snow, etc. View attachment 2568726
This is the view from inside the coop
View attachment 2568727
This is the entire run from the side, excuse the dreadful horrendously depressing dead yard 😅 it's greening up now.
View attachment 2568729
This is the main entrance to the run the "Big Door" if you will. Made it large so we could bring in a tractor or snow blower for winters sakes.

Show me your runs! Always looking for inspiration! 😁😁

Back
Top Bottom