Show me your SMALL coops!

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I am going to be writing an article about small, suburban flocks and I am looking for coop pictures that showcase several styles of coop. I'm looking for:
Homemade Coop (anything that you built yourself, completely)
Playhouse Coop (anyone that converted a playhouse
Over-EZ coop
Shed Coop (coop converted from garden shed)
Modified Prefab Coop (if you bought a prefab, then modified it to make it actually livable)
A frame coop
Omlet run ( @CHlCKEN this is your time to shine)
Or just any coop that has a capacity of 10 hens or fewer.

I'd love it if you could add things that you like about your coop, and things that you wish were different or you wish you had done differently.
Appreciated but Optional: Tell me how much your coop/run setup cost.

I wish I had clear picture of my old coop setup. From the very first one my dad made when I used to have pair of Sebright Bantam.

To the last relocated coop setup which was smaller in size.
Both could offer insight of inspiration how, what can be done with an suburb home backyard space that restricted in size.

My A-frame, walk-in coop is sized to accommodate about 10-12 birds (it's 8x5 and the run is 8x4 feet). Currently we have 4, with plans to add 6 more this spring. You miiiight be able to stretch to 14 if you had smaller breeds, we have quite a lot of roosting space inside!

It is super cute, I think (I'm biased of course). We had a local guy build it for us. It was about $3k all said and done, including delivery and set up.

We just added straw to the nest boxes as the girls are approaching the age to start laying (they're 17 weeks).

Right now we have a lavender Orpington, two CCLs, an a Favaucana. This spring I'm adding EEs, Welsummers, and Marans.

Attachments

• 2CAA8E825172_1613140524.JPG
    2CAA8E825172_1613140524.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 26B6FECB-951B-4681-AB12-D804FFEED7D1 (1).JPG
    26B6FECB-951B-4681-AB12-D804FFEED7D1 (1).JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 24
ERMAGERD lol ok here goes and I will be as brief as possible.

The tiny bantam coop for my 3 aging bantam cochins.

I started with a broody house that had been made with 80% scrap from a different build.

IMG_20190830_124342.jpg
Yup it is tiny at 3'x4'.

With scraps from additional other projects it became a raised coop with big (for just 3 bantams) run.

IMG_20201014_110117.jpg

So obviously I put it on legs. They measure 21". The run is 5.5'x9'. That made the most of the 2 roof panels I had to buy.
IMG_20201020_101614.jpg

The most efficient place to put a feeder was the inside of the door. That is a rabbit feeder but works very well.
IMG_20201008_131840.jpg

Looks taller than the broody house doesn't it? Well it is. I increased the height of the house itself by 11" using salvaged materials. That clean out door is made from scraps scavenged from our local recycling center.
IMG_20201008_131825.jpg

Nest box added since a broody house doesn't require one. It is made from left over fence boards and scrap lumber I had laying around. The window above does not open but does let winter sun shine in. It is made from 2 glass cutting boards from the dollar store.
IMG_20201006_140429.jpg

The entire top section is a big vent. The small rectangle below it was at the top of the old broody house. It is still open as permanent venting.
IMG_20201006_140442.jpg

And that big vent opened up.

I love this little house. Of course if I could change anything it would be to make it bigger.

Oh and that run.....all the wire was wire we already had. We roofed the big chicken run and I hung onto all the wire we took off.

Things bought specifically for this build.....
2 posts
2 roof panels
13 boards (2x4x12) from the cull rack at Home Depot.
2 glass cutting boards from dollar tree.

YAY! I like to shine!
===============
I even wrote a review on their website since I love it so much. Those of you who aren’t familiar with Omelet, it is a European Company which sells enclosures and items for animals like chickens, rabbits, birds, cats, dogs, and more. Omelet is probably best known for their chicken runs, which can be purchased in tiny sizes of 7’3” W, 3’9” H, 7’3” L to their largest size 10’3” W, 6’8” H, 25’3” L (which I own). Because they are stationed in the UK, Omelet strives to make their runs as fox proof as possible. The wire mesh protects any birds inside, and the skirt on the outside keeps out burrowing animals. It also is covered with the same wire mesh so no climbing or Ariel predators have a chance at a free meal. After owning the run for 2 years I have had 0 predator issues, and trust me, that’s saying a lot because I was having them on the daily. The runs are walk in and have a really easy to access door. They also sell auto doors for your chickens and have their own line of coops called “Eglus” which will safely attach to the run. Omelet sells extension kits if you want to upsize your flock, and you can attach it to any existing coop you have that isn’t an Eglu. I love this run so so much and I completely recommend it to everyone with a small backyard flock!

Pros:
The most predator proof run to exist!
Super sturdy
Skirt to block burrowing animals
Wire Roof
Can attach to any coop
Can be extended
Etc

Cons:
The double door is annoying at times
Not the widest chicken run

I have an Omlet Eglu Cube, with an attached 3x9 run that I then connected to a 9x13 run. As you can see in the photos, I also have a moveable fence to give them some more space to roam when we're out to supervise. It's been a great coop so far, especially for a backyard set-up. Very easy to clean, low profile (except for my ugly blue tarp!), and the run is amazingly easy to modify or add to. I've had it since July 2020, and the girls went in it starting at just under 4 weeks old.

A few mods I made: 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth several feet up (or higher, as needed) so I can leave the coop door open 24/7; added several secure latches & a bungee cord closure, as Omlet coops aren't rated for raccoons; added an extra nesting box in the run, which I'm hoping the girls will use this summer when the temperatures are in the triple digits. This summer, I also swapped out the slatted vents for hardware cloth for more airflow. I'm still deciding about winter run coverage, so I'll be playing around with different tarps or coverings. I recommend this coop for milder climates and/or when you can create a run set-up that could be accessed year-round. The girls only go in the coop to lay and sleep, and while they haven't chosen to roost outside, I have the run secure enough that they could do so on hot nights (including an extra roost right outside the coop door).

I have BR, Dominique, EE, and RIR.
IMG_6699.JPG

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG

IMG_6704.JPG

IMG_6707.JPG

Back
Top Bottom