Show me your solutions for a muddy mucky chicken yard!

Pics
Yes, thank you! I"m glad you've been able to keep the basement dry. The rain sure has been crazy this year... hope we all get a nice break of dry, sunny weather. The chickens sure do like it when the yard dries out enough to sprawl around in! I'm getting great ideas from everyone, so with a new-found free source of wood chips, looks like I've got a good start.
Hi!

That’s great! I’m so glad that you found a solution! Hopefully you can say Good-bye to all that rain soon!

View attachment 1784516

My son's cub scout pack did a clean-up at a historic cemetery that's on the Memorial Day parade route yesterday.

I got a couple of hours of exercise out of it...and a truck full of leaves and grass clippings. This should help keep the muck in the run down (and provide a few green treats for the flock)!
What a wonderful activity, and a fantastic haul of stuff for the chickens! I love it.

Yes, I think I do need some slower rotting material in there. I have a couple of stumps that are getting ground this week, and I told the guys to leave the chips. I'll pick them up and put them in the muddiest part of the run. Hopefully that helps a bit.

Also think I'll start adding some coffee grinds to the mix. May even stop by the local dunkin donuts and see if they can save me some for a few days.

A natural mulch should work. Get a whole load dumped in a pile somewhere out of the way and cover it with tarp. Cover the coop floor with alot at first it will get packed in the mud if its really bad. Then repeat every time it gets bad again. Should help with the smell too. My grandpa did this for years.

Back
Top Bottom