Show me your spurs please!

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
I need to trim my silkie rooster's spurs. They are really long and like scythes. Last time I did it, I went a little too far on one and it bled. I felt so bad.

They are dark and I can't see the quick. Nor can I recall how short I trimmed them last year.

How short can I cut them? And how on earth did they grow so quickly!

I'd really like to see before and after pics if anyone has any.

I need to trim my silkie rooster's spurs. They are really long and like scythes. Last time I did it, I went a little too far on one and it bled. I felt so bad.

They are dark and I can't see the quick. Nor can I recall how short I trimmed them last year.

How short can I cut them? And how on earth did they grow so quickly!

I'd really like to see before and after pics if anyone has any.
There is this one tool that removes the outer layer of the spurs decreasing the length of the spur. I bet premier one sells them.

I'm not in the US so we don't have that store here. Also it sounds like a de-gloving thing. I just want to trim, and cause him no pain.

I have a pair of the millers forge dog nail clippers with the gauge/stop that I use. When I trim my roosters spurs they will bleed for about 30 seconds or so. I measured how much the gauge cuts off with a micrometer and it is 0.110” so about 1/10 of an inch. I wouldn't cut more than that off at a time, then wait at least 1.5 weeks before trimming again to cut them on back.

Back
Top Bottom