Show me your temp houseing for young chickens?

I like them to have plenty of space to get away from the heat source.

72519_p1010068.jpg

This is just a ring made from a roll of aluminum flashing

72519_raft_chick_deer_slc_095.jpg

The sooner they wean themselves from heat the sooner they can hang out outdoors

72519_raft_chick_deer_slc_140.jpg

72519_p1010018.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas! How large of a space would 4 young chickens need when they are about 3-4 months old?

At 3-4 months old your probaly not going to want them in tupperware totes...I use a old horse trough, and they stay in that from hatch until they are fully featherd.

small rubbermaid w heat lamp above.
In this one are some baby quail chicks, a styrofoam tray for the food and a plastic lid w water and marbles for them.

this is one of the longer larger rubbermaids. Basically, they are waterproof floors so can go anywhere in the house or barn/coop.
This pic we had a baby duck at the same time as the quail eggs hatching. That's a runner baby in the pile.
We tried other creations for temp housing but these beat everything. Draft free, water/damp resistant. Super easy to clean when needed and super easy to move when needed.

our started out in a large in the living room. didn't take long for them to out grow that tho. my wonderful husband and son built me this temporary coop. it is now inside our big coop, and it is what we use to introduce a new girl to the flock. it's perfect for the teenagers. works like a charm =) there are 2 roosts inside, and the run is completely enclosed even on the bottom. the wheels make it easy to move.

Since it sounds like you are looking for something to house the new chickens inside your existing chicken run, once they are too big for the brooder but perhaps too small to put in with the big girls, you might be able to get away with something make of PVC pipe and plastic poultry netting. Here's a picture of the oversized play pen for my original 8 chicks. I used it the following summer as a brooder for 35 Freedom Ranger chicks, although I ended up moving 15 of them into another brooder because they got too big for this one.

Anyway, the beauty of PVC pipe and plastic netting is that you can collapse it when you are done with it for easy storage to use again the next year.

In this photo, you can see that I placed the PVC pen on top of a big tarp thatI zip-tied up the sides to provide protection from drafts. The side farthest fro the camera was set up as a cozy sleeping area under the heat lamp while the side closest to the camera had the feeder and waterer and a tray of dirt for scratching in. When they were older I fastened a piece of netting to the top to keep them from flying out. If you had something like this inside your run, you would need to have a section of the pen covered to protect them from rain and bright sun, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be predator proof, because it would be inside your primary run.

Back
Top Bottom