Show off "mixed breed" egg colors

Quote:
Can you please explain the extra coating? Is it particular to a certain breed, something you bred for specifically (if so, would you share how?), or a genetic jack-pot? I'm familiar with the concept of brown as an extra coating, but from whence purple?
hu.gif

(Edited to add: I see the "light layers with the extra bloom" explanation above (a bit slow on the uptake), and I know that the bloom is a protective membrane or dried mucous. Do some breeds have a thicker, and therefore more assertively colored, bloom?)

Thanks for sharing, Illia. Your posts are always direct and informative.

Last edited:
Quote:
Can you please explain the extra coating? Is it particular to a certain breed, something you bred for specifically (if so, would you share how?), or a genetic jack-pot? I'm familiar with the concept of brown as an extra coating, but from whence purple?
hu.gif

(Edited to add: I see the "light layers with the extra bloom" explanation above (a bit slow on the uptake), and I know that the bloom is a protective membrane or dried mucous. Do some breeds have a thicker, and therefore more assertively colored, bloom?)

Thanks for sharing, Illia. Your posts are always direct and informative.

I had 5 hens.that laid a similar colored egg with the extra coating. Mine where silkie and production red crosses

Back
Top Bottom