Show off your Black Australorp

Pics
Sorry for your loss!

Free range is cool, and definitely is cheaper then buying all that chicken wire for the run, but in places where coyotes, and other animals of that sort live, it's not a "excellent" option.

caf.gif

here's my two darlings....not to sure about gender yet tho...both at 9 weeks

first one looks like a roo second a pullet. Hopefully I got that right, it's taken me long enough!
roll.png
About the only way I could truly tell on my 3 month olds was the roos stand tall but some of them I could tell by their combs and wattles but some I couldn't. But the bottom one looks like a pullet for sure. :)
see what I mean? Just saw where someone said both are pullets and they both look different.
wink.png

Last edited:
Both 100% Roos.
At this age comb and wattles should almost be non-existent if they were pullets.

Actually, some breeds are like that. But most breeds, specifically single combs aren't like that. For Black Australorps, they should have a clearly visible comb on cockerels at 4 weeks, and pullets at 6 weeks.

Actually, some breeds are like that. But most breeds, specifically single combs aren't like that. For Black Australorps, they should have a clearly visible comb on cockerels at 4 weeks, and pullets at 6 weeks.
I am sorry but we are going to have to agree to disagree. Here is a blue Australorp pullet and Black Australorp Cockerel at 8 weeks. As you can see very little comb development in the pullet in the background and very prominent development in the boy. This is stock standard through all of my Australorps.

Back
Top Bottom