Show off your Black Australorp

My BA is so red, is this an indication of laying soon? She's only 14 weeks.

My BA is so red, is this an indication of laying soon? She's only 14 weeks.
You still have a few months to go. LOL BA's normally don't start laying til about 24 weeks old. Yours is still a baby. She will start squatting for you when she is about ready. Enjoy them at this age...they are so much fun at 3 months old. :)

Last edited:
Ok that's what I thought, someone told me that since she was getting red that was an indication. And yes they are fun at this age:)

* 4 of my girls or I call them The Chicken Gang!

I am wanting to transition my flock to black Australorps.
My understanding is that they can go broody, lay a lot of eggs and will get to a good size for eating. Is this your experience? And is anyone here mailing hatching eggs?

I am wanting to transition my flock to black Australorps.
My understanding is that they can go broody, lay a lot of eggs and will get to a good size for eating. Is this your experience? And is anyone here mailing hatching eggs?
They are great layers :) good mums and you can get great sized table birds out of them also. The commercial Lorp is not so big. Below is a pics of our lorps. The commercial strain and Show line.
7 month old Commercial

9 months old Commercial

13 month old commercial

Both 9 month old commercial

Now the Show line trio (Fred Brown lines Aus) All around 8 months old. The boy is huge and weighs 3 times as much as the commercial roos at the same age but of course your not going to serve your 200 buck plus roo for dinner lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom