Show off your Black Australorp

Pics
This is my 6 Hens at 18 Weeks This is them at 27 weeks, I believe this one is one of the 2 that started to lay this week. One thing I've noticed my Australorps have different to some others on here is that the comb on mine is quite large. Mine are from Barter and Sons Hatchery barterandsons.com.au (plain text as I'm not sure i'm allowed to link on here). I researched where my line are from and found a post on another forum by Deb at Barter and Sons farm & Hatchery. They're from the "Judson" line back in 1933. I'm sure it was Deb who I dealt with when I purchased my half-dozen. I'll have to get a picture of them during the day in the next couple of weeks so you can see them properly. They're generally more 'fluffly' looking... but I startled them so they would stop pecking at the ground and I would then get a decent pose for a picture.
Oh good! I am getting some australorp chicks from Bater and Son Hatchery in October. I was hoping I'd find someone who has ordered from barter and sons. Did u drive there or post? We're they good with service and stuff? How good is the quality of them cos I'm planning on showing them. Where bouts do you live? Oh and also do you have to order online before u turn up or do u just turn up?

Hi there.
I have both Utility Australorps and exhibition Australorps. Utility Australorps are the type of Australorp to expect from Barter and Sons. Great egg laying machines and fantastic pets but definitely not for showing. If you are looking to show than I would contact an exhibition breeder.
I would still get birds from Barter and Sons to use as egg layers and pets but like I said before not for showing. Here are some example of the difference between exhibition and utility Australorps. Hope that this helps.
Utility Australorp (Type of Australorp to expect from Barter and Sons)

Exhibition Black. Notice the body shape, face and size difference.

Exhibition Blue Australorp

To all autralorp owners...
I dont have access to a local breeder. Which hatchery would you order from if you had to?

Where are you located? You would definitely want to order from a hatchery that is close enough to you so that the chicks are not on the road too long. I live in New Mexico near Privett Hatchery. All our local small feed stores get their chicks from this hatchery as well and they seem to send only healthy chicks. My Australorps turned out great from Privett. Of course you are always going to hear negative feed back about every hatchery, but Privett seems to have a good reputation in this state.

Hi there. I have both Utility Australorps and exhibition Australorps. Utility Australorps are the type of Australorp to expect from Barter and Sons. Great egg laying machines and fantastic pets but definitely not for showing. If you are looking to show than I would contact an exhibition breeder. I would still get birds from Barter and Sons to use as egg layers and pets but like I said before not for showing. Here are some example of the difference between exhibition and utility Australorps. Hope that this helps. Utility Australorp (Type of Australorp to expect from Barter and Sons) Exhibition Black. Notice the body shape, face and size difference. Exhibition Blue Australorp
Your Blue Australorp is beautiful!!

These are my two BAs from Meyer Hatchery. I'm in Arkansas and my chicks that I ordered from Meyer all came in healthy.

Will they start laying in winter, or will they wait until spring, say if i order them in september or october...?

Will they start laying in winter, or will they wait until spring, say if i order them in september or october...?
BA's don't start laying until they are 6 months old or so. They are good layers and do lay thru winter, although if you get chicks late in the summer, chances are they may not start laying until the following spring.

Last edited:
Ok then i should be able to start in sept for spring. I just want to minimize the amount of feed i am spending on chickens during the winter, so i will get ba chicks and sell all but a few of my others.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom