Show Off Your Games!

Cords are the way to go if you have enough ground and have predators under control.  Control likely will mean dogs and a fence.  Perimeter fence, possibly with a hot wire or two strongly advised.  Delay putting birds on cords until good dogs in places.  Fencinging with constant trapping or other predator control measures can be used as well but I suggest keeping lesser value birds around perimeter so they are taken first by probing predators.
Birds of prey from above also

Birds of prey from above also
Most dogs handle raptors quite well. The hawks most likely to get chicks and fly off with them even when dogs present such as Coopers Hawks will be loath to approach with adults tehtered nearby. Even with my dogs during fall I need to keep young birds covered as Great-horned Owls will still try.

Lots of benefits when it comes to balancing access to fresh greens as welll as increased opportunity to interact with birds with pen in the way.

What can I give my roo if they have the flu or running nose. They offered me one I didn't know he was sick, I now I should not put them with others which I haven't.
Chronic Respritory Disease (CRD) is most likely the culprit.

I have had many chickens with CRD and my advice is to quarantine (isolate) them.. Clean up any area where that bird might have been (water dishes, feces, beddings, etc).

You can try to treat the isolated bird. I use Tylosil 200 injections in the breast muscle if you have that available. I also have used the powdered antibiotics (tetracycline) in the water. Injections are better I think for treating the sickness in a sick bird... I have used the powder to treat the water of the healthy birds just in case. I also have an antibiotic eye treatment because CRD will sometimes cause eye(s) to get infected as well.

I have several chickens survive CRD, but most die if it's severe. I have chickens in my yard that have survived and later bred good offspring. I have been 3 years with no CRD outbreak.

PS... Want to add that I also spray for parasites as they increase the chances of diseases spreading... (I use "poultry protector" a natural orange peel spray). I add apple cider vinegar (or VetRx) to water as well if I am not using antibiotics... I try not to use antibiotics if I can

Last edited:

I have had many chickens with CRD and my advice is to quarantine (isolate) them.. Clean up any area where that bird might have been (water dishes, feces, beddings, etc).

You can try to treat the isolated bird. I use Tylosil 200 injections in the breast muscle if you have that available. I also have used the powdered antibiotics (tetracycline) in the water. Injections are better I think for treating the sickness in a sick bird... I have used the powder to treat the water of the healthy birds just in case. I also have an antibiotic eye treatment because CRD will sometimes cause eye(s) to get infected as well.

I have several chickens survive CRD, but most die if it's severe. I have chickens in my yard that have survived and later bred good offspring. I have been 3 years with no CRD outbreak.

PS... Want to add that I also spray for parasites as they increase the chances of diseases spreading... (I use "poultry protector" a natural orange peel spray). I add apple cider vinegar (or VetRx) to water as well if I am not using antibiotics... I try not to use antibiotics if I can
CRD may be spread, in part, by mosquitos. If correct, then keeping quarantined bird free of mosquitos, especially at night may be required to keep infected bird from being a reservoir for future infections.

That little songbird that just flew out of your chicken pen.. yep, yesterday he was 10 miles away in another breeders chicken pen. Prevention is the only way to go when it comes to illness. Unless you raise your fowl in a bubble they are gonna get exposed to something at some time. Only keep the strongest, breed for resistance, learn what steps to take with your fowl from the time they are hatched to make sure you are raising the strongest, healthiest birds possible.

That little songbird that just flew out of your chicken pen.. yep, yesterday he was 10 miles away in another breeders chicken pen. Prevention is the only way to go when it comes to illness. Unless you raise your fowl in a bubble they are gonna get exposed to something at some time. Only keep the strongest, breed for resistance, learn what steps to take with your fowl from the time they are hatched to make sure you are raising the strongest, healthiest birds possible.
exactly!... Sparrows and another birds move between yards and eat extra scratch, drink water and deficate on the same ground as your chickens... Healthy immune systems are the first line of defense.

Secondly ... Overcrowed chicken yards are the worst way to spread disease. Keep your flock managable. I learned this the hard way.

Fabio got his first weigh in... He is almost 4 years old and weighs 7lbs. I couldnt get his weight in ounces because I used a scale for humans (1/2 lbs increments).

This seems heavy... I heard people in forums say that the average should be around 5-6lbs. Is there a market for extra large gamefowl?

Back
Top Bottom