Show Off Your Games!

at what age do you guys put your chicks/ yung stags and pullets out side. I had to put some out on wire today because I am out of room . mine are 1 month old and all fathered out except for there heads I hope they don't get cold at night I live in maryland

at what age do you guys put your chicks/ yung stags and pullets out side. I had to put some out on wire today because I am out of room . mine are 1 month old and all fathered out except for there heads I hope they don't get cold at night I live in maryland
I let mine out at 1 month... but I put them in an outdoor shed the first night. I let them roam during the day, but I leave the door open to the shed so they have shelter. They all went back into the shed to roost at night. Garage would work too.

1 month olds in the shed

Although I live in So Cal... its 90deg today. Maryland is very different. I am guessing rainy/cold season is over by now

Last edited:

Mine are outside from the minute they hatch til they are sold or are dead.

at what age do you guys put your chicks/ yung stags and pullets out side. I had to put some out on wire today because I am out of room . mine are 1 month old and all fathered out except for there heads I hope they don't get cold at night I live in maryland 

Depends somewhat with temperature. When temperatures drop below freezing then five weeks post-hatch. When temperatures very warm and dry then three weeks. Hen hatched and reared which represents majority of mine then always outdoors although I am starting to get a little more controlling over hatch date since I do not have a proper barn. Earliest hatch date for me is about mid-March owing to impacts of low temperatures on eggs before incubation starts. I have had chicks hatch when air temperature was -10 Fahrenheit although they have to be provided supplemental feed. Survival under such extreme conditions within manger area of barn very good but vitality not as good owing to poor nutrition and physical exercise.

I let mine out at 1 month... but I put them in an outdoor shed the first night. I let them roam during the day, but I leave the door open to the shed so they have shelter. They all went back into the shed to roost at night. Garage would work too.

1 month olds in the shed

Although I live in So Cal... its 90deg today. Maryland is very different. I am guessing rainy/cold season is over by now
yea rainy/ cold is over now its rainy/hot day cold night it gets down to 45-50 at night some night's in may but we have high's of 70-85 during the day but I think they will be ok

Back
Top Bottom