Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Skyfire

Skyfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Hope you guys don't mind if Jupiter and I crash your house duck thread party. It's sort of dead on the goose forum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Reese7383

Reese7383 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    It's been a long nite... I've been keeping written record. He's at least drinking, small amounts on his own. I'm keeping him plenty warm. Lying on my chest or in my lap covered. The heater is on in the bedroom which is now 80° too hot for me, but he's the important one rite now. Also I put his friends on a clear box on the bed next to where we sat so he could see them. He tapped on the side of the box quite often while in my lap. Possible Seizure or muscle spasamThe first one occurred at 1:15. He started shaking, floped on his belly with his little wings and legs stretched out. He peeped very loudly for the duration. This worries me alot...Any ideas of what it could be? Here's some pics of the record and his poos.

care log

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Poos with time-stamp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I photo bomb with my geese all the time! What is the breed? I

4. jaylilsmom

jaylilsmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2015
    Lol the idea of a duck in diapers has never occurred to me. My husband would think I'm insane lol

5. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I'm
    I'm glad he made it through the night, and the log will be useful for the vet. I can't tell if you are describing a seizure or a duckling falling off balance - my healthy ducklings can do that, since they can't right themselves well with those stubby little wings!
    Much as I cringe over the concept of leftover human antibiotics (there should not be leftovers) - augmentin would be good. Cipro I would not recommend because it doesn't work well on gram positive infections. It is unlikely if it is an infection, that this would be gram negative, so you would be giving something that doesn't work. Cuprous also carries a risk of tendon slippage, which is the last thing you would want on top of his illness.
    I'm glad he is taking water! You may want to grab some pedialyte, so he can get a little sugar and electrolytes as well.
    Keep us all posted on how he is doing!!!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Reese7383 , Glad he made it through the night. Good luck at the vet!

-Kathy

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Reese7383

Apr 10, 2015
    Thank you. I'm also glad he made it thru the night. The next few days are going to be very long..regretfully, I don't think I'm going to be able to take him to the vet. It's not if I want to or not, I'm just not able to. (I'm leaving it at that.) I won't be able to go anywhere until after 4pm. So i can't get pedilyte. Unless... I take Lamont with me. I was told elsewhere to add a little sugar to his water.
    He's getting 1ml of baby food an hour. He's mostly drinking on his own. I offer him every 15 mins. If he does not drink, I givw him. 50-1ml every half. Correct? And as for the seziures...
    He's had 3. 1;15, 4:35 & 6:40. I went to this website... http://www.beautyofbirds.com/seizures.html
    After seeing him do this 3 times I'm sure it was a seizure. Since he's sick and hasn't been drinking, he's likely become dehydrated which can be a common cause. Although his balance is off as well. Regarding his food, someone said add water to crumbles, he's not eating crumbles. How often should I be tube feeding, and besides baby Food peas what could I use?

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In my fowl, *all* intestinal infections have been gram negative, none have been gram positive. Interestingly, fluoroquinolones, like Cipro and Baytril, while not recommended for use in young mammals due to the risk of cartilage damage, can be used in fowl. [​IMG]

See picture:
    [​IMG]
    from: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/08/36_waterfowl.pdf

Pedialyte is a good idea. Might also want to pick up some Kaytee baby bird food, though the vet might have better.

-Kathy

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  9. Reese7383

Apr 10, 2015
    Very sadly, I'm not going to be able to take him to the vet.I don't have the money until I get paid next Friday. :( I'm going to continue to do what I can for him. Is the vet the ONLY place I would be able to get antibiotics? Maybe a local feed store?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by