Show off your house ducks!

Pics
I too would be curious how others cool their duckies, Misty pants every night laying on linoleum. I was thinking of making a bed where I could put a frozen block underneath.

Also, if anyone is worried about bumblefoot, all four of my ducks have got it and it's pretty easy to treat, I just rubbed triple antibiotic ointment on them three times a day until the scab fell off. Just check their feet often, and maybe buy or make shoes for when they are on rough surfaces.

idunno.gif
I've never seen Quackers pant, is that odd? Lol. Not even when she's outside on a warm day.
Misty didn't start panting until she was fully feathered, plus your Quakers is a Muscovy which are native to warmer, more tropical areas.

At first my 3 older boys thought Quackers was a play toy. Well 2 of them did, Mr Humphries thought he was pray Lol. Judas don't pay her any attention, Meow would come running to Quackers rescue if someone was acting up, and the 3 babies well they see Quackers as one of them. It's funny seeing them trying to play with Quackers Lol. Before I wouldn't trust leaving Quackers alone with them for one minute. Not even to just get the mail. Now there's no problem with them. The only problem now is with Judas attacking Furball. Oh and with our dogs, Twankers use to sit there and stare at Quackers and drool. She'd have a big puddle in front of her. Now she goes outside with her and they "bark" at people passing by together lol. Rudy, well inside he doesn't do anything. Outside he thinks "Here's my chance to get me a duck dinner". So yeah he's not allowed outside when Quackers and Twankers are Lol.

idunno.gif
I've never seen Quackers pant, is that odd? Lol. Not even when she's outside on a warm day.

Nope, I'd say that is a good thing.

Oh and those videos were adorable! We've watched them a handful of times already, especially the one with Quackers getting off the bed. And don't worry....she'll get better at it.

I too would be curious how others cool their duckies, Misty pants every night laying on linoleum. I was thinking of making a bed where I could put a frozen block underneath.

What about using bags of frozen veggies? After they get thawed, you can feed it to her. :)

Misty didn't start panting until she was fully feathered, plus your Quakers is a Muscovy which are native to warmer, more tropical areas.

Good to know, thanks. I was wondering, Quackers bill use to be cool when she was younger, now I've noticed that it's warm. Is that normal? Lol did I mention this is my first duck? I'm obviously clueless haha

Nope, I'd say that is a good thing.

Oh and those videos were adorable!  We've watched them a handful of times already, especially the one with Quackers getting off the bed.  And don't worry....she'll get better at it.

Aww thanks, glad you guys enjoy them. :)

Oh yeah, I was also wondering if it's normal for Quakers' eating habits to change if she spends more time outside. The past couple of days she hasn't been eating dinner. My cats end up eating it lol. She even has cut back eating the cats food, which she LOVES. She does forage outside, as I've seen her. I'm thinking she's getting "full" from eating whatever she finds outside. Should I be worried? Or is it normal?

That's so awesome!  Floki is an Ancona, and she's just amazing......I'm jealous.  :p

But all boys....or all girls....I'm sure you'll be happy either way.  And yes....just having one duck....we have no need to buy eggs anymore....

Ok... I grabbed 6 eggs in a swap. I may have to consider housing the little birdies outside or turning a room in the house into an aviary. Haha.

Oh yeah, I was also wondering if it's normal for Quakers' eating habits to change if she spends more time outside. The past couple of days she hasn't been eating dinner. My cats end up eating it lol. She even has cut back eating the cats food, which she LOVES. She does forage outside, as I've seen her. I'm thinking she's getting "full" from eating whatever she finds outside. Should I be worried? Or is it normal?

Wobbles has been doing the same thing, minus the cat food. She still gobbles that down if I forget to put it up in the morning. She used to go ape for mazuri pellets, but now she'll just nibble at them and that's that. She'll still eat veggies, but with far less gusto than she used to. We're going back to the feed store today to buy up some different pellet types and try to mix it up so she doesn't get bored of just one flavor. Yeah, she's spoiled rotten. :p

Also, I keep hearing that eventually, they can wear their diapers through the night. Wobs is nearly full grown and I still gotta change her on an hour basis, and she poops fairly regularly through the night. Where can I get a "heavy-duty" diaper? I've seen ones that have plastic cone inserts that act like a giant doodoo funnel, but I'm not sure if she can sleep with one on.

I think they're plastic so they can be reused. Any porous material would harbor bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom