Show off your house ducks!

Pics
Go Deema! It is said that you can NOT potty train a duck but after a month, Deema will not poop in the house or diaper! She squaks at the door like a dog to go out, poop and come back in!!

We got 15 babies for a full brood for Deems since she is happier out than in. The babies are awesome and sooo cute! Deema doesnt like them much yet but shes doing better with them wvery day.
As for a inside / outside duck, here is Deema`s story.....

We rescued her and her mate back in april. The guy who found them was going to make them dinner if he didnt find a home :(
We took them in, got them eating n happy n healthy. After a few months they were attacked by predators. She had a huge bite taken from her back and the male, Dexter, was gone. We brought her inside to heal and so she wasnt alone. She got attached to me in a few days and was a happy house duck, wore a diaper without trouble, and was super happy to have constant company. I work from home and our 2 youngest are home all day with me.
I started taking her out to forage about 6 weeks ago and its almost like she remembers being an outside bird lol! She waits at the door to go out and when it gets dark, I open her pen and she goes to the front door to get in at night!
They have a huge area outside thats fenced so they range all day but come in at night.....for now ;)

Floki does the same!

In fact she just started, and I didn't notice it at the time.

She will only poop on the kitchen floor or the bathroom floor.

It's nuts.....she can spend hours on the bed with us and she's fine. When she has to go she'll start peeping and bobbing her head at me so I'll take her in there...and a minute later.....POOP!

I mean first thing in the morning she'll start acting antsy and I kno she has to go.

I just finished her diaper, and she doesn't mind it at all....which is surprising.

But I was shocked that she prefers to go in the kitchen or bathroom ((And I disinfect the floor every time she does....))

But I remember reading when I first got Floki that, it's true, you can't potty train a duck...but sometimes they will have preferences on where they like and where they don't like to go.

To keep her going on the floor, which is a lot easier then doing laundry ALL the time....I praise her and give her a treat. So then she knows it's ok and good she goes on the floor.

Oh, the poor thing! As for you Ferrari, have you tried upping the duckling's niacin intake and wrapping the leg?

Also on a lighter note, Wobbles had her first taste as a predator this evening! *evil grin*

0.jpg

I have a dilemma. How do you guys handle putting on diapers when your duck's blood feathers are coming in? Poor Wobs shrieks 50% of the time I have to put it on because her struggling inevitably strikes one of them in some way or another, and that's really bad in more ways I can count!

It'll be at least another month until her adult molt is completely grown in, so I don't really know what to do. Is there such a thing as a blood feather friendly diaper?

I have a dilemma. How do you guys handle putting on diapers when your duck's blood feathers are coming in? Poor Wobs shrieks 50% of the time I have to put it on because her struggling inevitably strikes one of them in some way or another, and that's really bad in more ways I can count! 

It'll be at least another month until her adult molt is completely grown in, so I don't really know what to do. Is there such a thing as a blood feather friendly diaper?

Wow.....thanks for bringing this up cuz I would've never thought of this issue until she molts again.

But off the top of my head, no idea. Guess it is something to look into.

And definitely post any info you find....I will too.

Guess you can start by asking the place you ordered her diapers from.....or even just e-mail other companies that make diapers for waterfowl

So sometimes Floki does this.....and sometimes it's over in a few minutes, others a bit longer.

She's breathing, well.....odd....I guess.

It doesn't seem to be bothering her, if it is then you'd never kno it. And it comes out of nowhere.....

It's like short, sharp breaths

About 20seconds in you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. Watch the way her body is when she's breathing

Anyone else's duck do this? Anyone kno what it is?

[VIDEO]

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to take her to the vet. I thought I heard her wheezing a bit as she exhaled, it's hard to tell with the audio. If it's happening regularly, or it's a new behavior, I'd take her in ASAP. It looks like she's struggling to get enough air.

I call that tail-pumping. She's having egg system troubles.

Is she getting calcium supplements? Like, layer pellets, free choice oyster shell, calcium gluconate liquid, other ways?

Sounds like you need to take her to the vet. I thought I heard her wheezing a bit as she exhaled, it's hard to tell with the audio. If it's happening regularly, or it's a new behavior, I'd take her in ASAP. It looks like she's struggling to get enough air.

Not regular, no

I call that tail-pumping.  She's having egg system troubles.

Is she getting calcium supplements?  Like, layer pellets, free choice oyster shell, calcium gluconate liquid, other ways?

Oyster shells, yes. And she laid this morning fine.....and before that, no issues either

And egg binding I do look out for.

But I think (hope so after this 3 time) I kno why she was doing that. I've posted earlier that Floki has her 2 places she prefers to go to the bathroom.

I remembered the time before she was like that, my husband took her into the bathroom, and it wasn't even a second after he put her down did she let a big one go....lol....you kno those dreadful 7th poops....and then she was fine....breathing back to normal.

So I remembered my husband doing that, and sure enough, I just set her down on the bathroom floor....and out it came.

And breathing......back to normal and she's ready for bed.

So if this happens again, I'll take her straight to the bathroom and see if that happens again.

I kno ducks don't have control like we do....but this is the 3rd time it's happened this way....but it's something I'll just have to keep and eye on.

Thank you guys for your quick responses!

Ducky Mama's are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom