Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

I have a question for you guys/gals that obviously know way more than me about the varieties. What is the difference between the silver duckwing and gold duckwing? Mine has a golden patch on his back. Is that the difference. I've never seen a silver in person just pictures.

I have a question for you guys/gals that obviously know way more than me about the varieties. What is the difference between the silver duckwing and gold duckwing? Mine has a golden patch on his back. Is that the difference. I've never seen a silver in person just pictures.

In the rooster there are usually golden (russet? tannish?) pathes on the wing and on the heads of both sexes, the silver duckwing has a white head while the golden has a creamy or darker head, not white.

Thanks guys! I grew up with chickens but they were just that, chickens! I know a lot about raising them and taking care of them but not much about the different varieties and breeds. We have a few laying hens and my daughter wanted some bantams because she likes the little eggs. So you know how that goes! Daddy got her some. Its something she and I can kind do together. I want to get some of the crele ones too. They are really pretty. I really appreciate your willingness to answer my questions. One other question. What would you get breeding the GDW roo to the BBR hen I have? Just curious

Thanks guys! I grew up with chickens but they were just that, chickens! I know a lot about raising them and taking care of them but not much about the different varieties and breeds. We have a few laying hens and my daughter wanted some bantams because she likes the little eggs. So you know how that goes! Daddy got her some. Its something she and I can kind do together.  I want to get some of the crele ones too. They are really pretty. I really appreciate your willingness to answer my questions. One other question. What would you get breeding the GDW roo to the BBR hen I have? Just curious

From her all the babies *should be* black breasted red, I believe...

Quote:
After looking at your pictures a little closer, I think the little darker hen might be a golden duckwing. They are very similar to BBR hens, but seems the hackle is a little lighter. GDW's are produced by breeding SDW over BBR. How you cross determines the makeup of your cockerels and pullets. I would bet your offspring will be quite the motley crew. Pick the ones that are closest in color to what you like, or to the standard, and use them for further breeding. I like projects like that.

Here are some of the Brown Reds I hatched this spring. The last pick is a lemon black pullet, from a lemon blue/lemon blue breeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom