Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Do you guys think this is a BBred or BBred x brassyback. Or blue berated red.

Last edited:

here are my old english bantams thinking 2 hens and 1 roo pretty splash colouring are now 6 weeks old

first pic has the 3 of them the rooster the far left the other two are the hens and the second pic is of the one we think is a hen

Hi everyone, I have come to ask about frostbite! I am contemplating getting some OEGB's they will be u dubbed but I am worried about frostbite, it gets lowest at around -6c 18 farenheight. None of my other birds have ever got frostbite but they have never had combs as big as the OEGB roosters. My coop is also not insulated with no additional heat. Will they do okay? We are having a cold spell right now and last night it got down to around -4c so it doesn't usally get lower than that. I look forward to the answers!

It's not cold but moisture that causes frostbite. If you can keep the humidity down, you shouldn't have a problem. I have OEGBs in the middle of Minnesota and I don't dub them. I have put Vaseline or Bag balm on the combs on occasion but not too often. I do have an insulated coop though, don't know how much difference that would make. I would think if you are going to dub them that you wouldn't have a problem.

devinandfeather I don't like being the bearer of bad news but with combs that big on such young chicks, I think you have three rosters.

It's not cold but moisture that causes frostbite. If you can keep the humidity down, you shouldn't have a problem. I have OEGBs in the middle of Minnesota and I don't dub them. I have put Vaseline or Bag balm on the combs on occasion but not too often. I do have an insulated coop though, don't know how much difference that would make. I would think if you are going to dub them that you wouldn't have a problem.

Sorry I meant to say they will not be dubbed! How cold does it get inside your coop? What is the maximum amount of humidity you can have in the coop? Sorry for all the questions.

devinandfeather I don't like being the bearer of bad news but with combs that big on such young chicks, I think you have three rosters.

Ask away, thats what this site is for.
big_smile.png
These are just my opinions and maybe someone else can give you better info for your area.
It probably gets down below zero. I don't have a thermometer or barometer(is that what checks humidity?) in the coop. I just leave them alone unless it feels really damp and then I'll grease down their combs and wattles. I've had OEGBs for 7 or 8 years now and at first it seemed they always got frostbite but I have had no trouble the last few years. They are in a different coop, still insulated but not heated. I don't know if the new coop makes a difference or where it is placed (this one gets more sun) or if I am just lucky. When they did get frostbite, it was just the tips and it wasn't real bad. It's up to you if you want to try it but I would think it would be ok.

Back
Top Bottom