Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

this is my roo from my dutch bbred and my sonny boy what should he be considered I want to show him in the county fair

Another pic of my roo from sonny and my bbred what do you think he is? He was born 07/28/2015

It would help if I could see him up close but he looks mixed breed.

Mixed birds are quickly disqualified at shows. Birds are shown according to class and breed, and then by different color varieties within the breed. It's just hard for a mixed bird to fit in anywhere. Doesn't mean they're not pretty, or worth anything. Some of my favorite birds in my flock right now are misfits. Seems they always wind up with the best personalities.

If you're looking to show, find birds that have been bred in pure lines, preferably from someone that has been winning at shows. Pick a color within a breed you like, and purchase a pair or trio to start. You want birds of similar type and quality.

I have a few Old English game bantams and I'm not sure when they are to lay ? About what time do they start laying? I got them in the summer and they seem like they're fixing to lay

I have a few Old English game bantams and I'm not sure when they are to lay ? About what time do they start laying? I got them in the summer and they seem like they're fixing to lay

I'm sure there are various answers, but mine hatched February 23 and all started right before the middle of July, just before the five month mark. I have a feeling those getting ready to start now might be a little older because the days are getting shorter.

Quote:
I have a few pullets that I hatched this spring that are laying, but not well. Mine never seem to lay well the first summer/fall after hatching, but lay like crazy the following spring. I get big eggs, tiny eggs, thin shelled eggs, all types until they get regulated. Then they get very consistent, and lay an egg about every other day. Five months of age is where they'll start the first year, if they're going to.

Back
Top Bottom