Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

I'm getting ever closer to retirement age, still got a lot of time left but this is what I'm gonna do when I quit being a slave to the man. Also would love to share what I have with you guys out there. My Dad always said you should put as much of your blood out there as you can. You don't know when you might need it back.

Exactly... I know someone who recently had that happen... lion wiped out her sons entire flock of porcelain d'Uccles... was super sad...

Yes I hope I haven't spoiled myself. My hubby got a mattress from one of his nursing home buildings, it was the wrong size, so they couldn't use it. He brought it home and I made a dog bed out of part of it, and kept the rest. Its several layers of memory foam 1/2"-3/4"-1" thicknesses, all stacked together, so I've been using it. Lol
Great motto!

And its always good to learn with folks who won't go crazy if something goes wrong.

X2!

Some might not be as forgiving about how the PO handles boxes of eggs... :/

4 OEGB hatching the 19th, there was 5 but one broke on top which was weird I could see the chick. Which is a good sign for the others. Wasn't sure if it was alive but it probably wouldn't of made it. I'll take pictures once hatched! First OEGB chicks ever

4 OEGB hatching the 19th, there was 5 but one broke on top which was weird I could see the chick. Which is a good sign for the others. Wasn't sure if it was alive but it probably wouldn't of made it. I'll take pictures once hatched! First OEGB chicks ever

We want chick pics. Are these from your splash?

Good plan! Plus better for you if you can ship live birds... ;)

@abbevilleoz when you are on a computer, would you be so kind as to copy/paste the pertinent info I PM'd you on egg shipping for jophus, please?

Sure thing: (@jophus)

Cut strips of bubblewrap a little wider than the eggs are tall. Roll them up in it and tape or rubberband them securely individually. Those loom bands kids use to make bracelets are perfect size to use, btw.
Make a thick layer of shavings in bottom of box. Place each egg air cell up within box, group them in the middle. Fill in with shavings all around eggs and in between until they are snug and layer over the top until box is full. When you close the box it should be just barely over full so eggs stay snug and immobile, just don't squish hard, lol.
Place box inside another box and use shavings or shredded paper to fill in all gaps and keep inner box immobile as well.
I put just Fragile and arrows on outside and this end up as the only markings. That packing has given the best avg for good results. smile.png

Last edited:
This pen is a mother crossed back to her son. He was the only Blue Brassy cock I kept last year. I like him because he doesn't have the short, squatty look that OEGB tend to get.

He's not perfect by any means, but he's decent, and a great breeder (cue James Brown's "Sex Machine", lol). Hoping by crossing by to Mom I can fill in some gaps

Here's his dad and sister. They've not produced fertile eggs this year. My blue brassy's are a project. You can tell the younger birds hackle (and tail if you could see it) are an improvement over Dad's. Little steps.

Will hatch my first chicks out of this pair this weekend. Should be 100% Blue Brassy. She looks light in the sun, but she's a Brassyback, full sister to the cock below.

Brassyback hatched from a blue brassy to blue brassy mating. Blues make the best black.

Those are beautiful birds Jophus !

Letting these birds raise their hatch in the pen. There's 5 brown red chicks (which I placed under my lemon blues) and 1 lemon blue chick that one of them added. Big Pappa always stays between me and the chicks. Fatherhood has calmed him down a bit. He's not nearly as aggressive with the chicks there.

Letting these birds raise their hatch in the pen. There's 5 brown red chicks (which I placed under my lemon blues) and 1 lemon blue chick that one of them added. Big Pappa always stays between me and the chicks. Fatherhood has calmed him down a bit. He's not nearly as aggressive with the chicks there.

That's cool! He doesn't mess with babies?

Will hatch my first chicks out of this pair this weekend. Should be 100% Blue Brassy. She looks light in the sun, but she's a Brassyback, full sister to the cock below.

Brassyback hatched from a blue brassy to blue brassy mating. Blues make the best black.

Hey Jophus, help me understand the color genetics with the Splash cock and the Brassyback hen. How do you get all blue brassy?

That's cool! He doesn't mess with babies?

No, not at all. He's been very protective of them so far.

Hey Jophus, help me understand the color genetics with the Splash cock and the Brassyback hen. How do you get all blue brassy?

Splash is when a bird gets 2 copies of the blue gene. Blues only have 1. Black has none.

Splash x black results in all offspring receiving only one copy of the gene, making them 100% blue.

Blue x blue gives you 50% blue, 25% splash, 25% black.

Splash x blue gives you 50/50 split.

Blue x black gives you a 50/50 split as well.

Of course Splash x splash results in 100% splash offspring since they get a copy of the gene from each parent.

Back
Top Bottom