Show off your Peas!

So that's two votes for hens! Wow, that means that unless the other white one is a cock I have all peahens! Besides those three I have only the momma hen, a DNA sexed white female, and the other unknown white. I'll go check on that last one and see if it's growing any fringey feathers and get some pics of it too.

Thanks everybody!

Post pics and we'll help you.

Gerald Barker

Whole flock (indoors today because something has been picking off my chickens this past week)

Unknown White Pea

Thanks for the help!

Whole flock (indoors today because something has been picking off my chickens this past week)

Unknown White Pea

Thanks for the help!

They are younger than I thought but, if they are all around the same age you can use those hens to compare the legs and spur growth. The whites are hard to tell at a young age and you may have to wait until around 8 months of age or so to definitively call it a rooster or hen. The males will have thicker and longer legs in most cases. Keep a close eye on his tail feathers and legs. They all fan their tails male or female especially when young and they feel threatened they puff up to scare off the trouble. Beautiful birds regardless keep us posted.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
They are younger than I thought but, if they are all around the same age you can use those hens to compare the legs and spur growth. The whites are hard to tell at a young age and you may have to wait until around 8 months of age or so to definitively call it a rooster or hen. The males will have thicker and longer legs in most cases. Keep a close eye on his tail feathers and legs. They all fan their tails male or female especially when young and they feel threatened they puff up to scare off the trouble. Beautiful birds regardless keep us posted.

Gerald Barker

Three of them hatched on the same day (this white and the two dark pied) one hatched a week earlier (light pied) and one hatched a month earlier (DNA sexed/imprinted white hen). I looked at the legs and feathers of this one and they look identical to the other three likely hens and the DNA sexed female. So maybe I have all females. Good thing we decided to bring in a male this year, cause I guess we didn't have any hatch!

Last edited:

Unknown White Pea

Thanks for the help!

Heres an observation I made after looking at the close ups of your pieds. Did all these birds come from the same place and if so, do you know if they had any greens/spauldings on hand? The reason I ask is that in a couple of your pics they look to have a little green in them due to the "tear" shape in the crest and their cheeks by the ears look to be yellow. Healthy greens will start to show the yellow at around that age and it usually starts at the ear vent and grows forward with age. Im probably wrong, hard to tell from pics but time will tell please keep us posted.

Gerald Barker

That white in the back kind of has that white male structure.

Unknown White Pea

The feathers kind of look wispy making me think male. Also it seems the white is growing feathers in. The tail seems a little small.

Thanks for the help!

I love looking at all the marvelous peafowl on here! Everyone has such gorgeous birds!

My lovely 6 month old Caramel. She is out of my One Eyed Jack, the purple BS and Roche, an IB hen. I have tried for 2 years to get a daughter from them and finally, I have Caramel growing up nicely.
I will pair Jack with other IB hens this coming breeding season for hopes of more daughters.

A silver pied 6 month old, pretty sure this is a girl and though I know the father is Velocity, my silver pied peacock, I am not sure which hen was the mother. I suspect my Bronze hen since I never was able to get an egg to hatch from the silver pied hen in the last 3 years. I have not named this girl yet. She is whispering some suggestions but nothing has stuck.

A white eyed IB 6 month old peacock out of my Bronze peacock, Hershey and one of my Opal white eye hens, Opal or Gem. I can't wait to see this fella in all his glory! I had to trade my IB white eye peacock earlier this year (ironically for the 2 Opal white eye hens) because I did not like his aggressive breeding behavior toward hens. (I gave full disclosure)

His brother that I sold last week. He showed no signs of white eye but may later develop something. I just wanted to keep the one showing signs of WE already.

And as much as I wish I could get photos of my other 2 in the grow up pen, I can't seem to. They are fine until I pull out the scary camera and then they start crowding to the back.

I have a silver pied brother to the 2 above out of the Bronze/Opals and a pied out of my silver pied, Zazous and pied hen, Dilly. I am hoping for some interesting train pattern from him.

Can't believe it has been 2 1/2 years already. What a difference, Chirpie then and Chirpie now, he'll be 3 in July, still a Momma's baby and not aggressive at all.

Back
Top Bottom