Show off your Peas!

Here is my 21 month old Black Shoulder male, He is still showing his juvenile colors with the white flecks which will be gone by fall when he gets his adult colors and long tail.

I didn't know they could have white flecks in their plumage. Does this mean he is a dark pied? Or does it indicate something else in the genetics? I am still learning so I hope for more understanding with this coloring.

He is still immature and when born they carry a LOT of white and lose the white as they moult and they are not finished moulting all juvenile feathers until age 2. This is what I have been told. This fall he will have no white and he is a "RED EYED" male by the way. When you look closely at his tail you see amazing red eyes in train. Those white flecks will be gone after next moult for sure!! He will be 2 yrs old this summer. The females of the Black Shoulder color are all white with small paint brush like tan or brown markings, they look nothing like the peahen I show in avatar as that hen is pure India Blue.

The white flecks indicate he is still juvenile, will lose those in next moult and will have red eyes on his long train....all the white will be gone

Back
Top Bottom