Show off your Peas!

Okay,,all Pea Palace birds are moved to their respective breeding pens for 2015.All you experts out there,,my overflow pen has 2 cameo w/e hens,Opal pied hen,2 bssp hens,one bronze hen with a bronze barred winged male and a opal barred wing male. Without spending days reading back in the archives,don't a bronze and cameo produce purples? Or was it peach? This pen is mostly coming 3 year olds and don't really expect too much production from them,just wondering what possibilities are out there?
Not an expert, but I believe Cameo + Purple = Peach, not sure about Cameo + Bronze, but I think Purple has been around a lot longer than Bronze.

Here is a link to Brads History of the Peach Mutation;
http://www.leggspeafowl.com/history_of_peach_peafowl.htm

This year I have my 'Poppa P', a Purple BS Spaulding paired with three Cameo hens, one Purple BS Spaulding, and one IBBS hen. I am keeping my fingers crossed, the first four developing eggs from that pen, (Cameos), will hatch on the 28th.
fl.gif

I am not sure what cameo and bronze would produce but I do happen to have a cameo bs spal hen that I may just leave with my bronze bs male and see what happens.

Not an expert, but I believe Cameo + Purple = Peach, not sure about Cameo + Bronze, but I think Purple has been around a lot longer than Bronze.
The last time I heard theories about the interaction of Cameo and Purple and Peach, that seemed to be the consensus- that cameo + purple is where peach came from. That being said, this particular interaction is most likely due to the genes for those colors being alleles (basically fitting into the same space on the genetic code).

Since (as far as I know) cameo and bronze are not alleles (cameo is carried on the sex chromosome, bronze, I think, is not sex-linked and is therefore carried on a non-sex chromosome), there shouldn't be an interaction. You'd just get blue split bronze/cameo birds or cameo split bronze birds (depending on the genders of the parents, of course).

Well shucks,,all my purples are together in one breeding pen. three purple b/s,2 purples and a very nice purple pied hen.I'm hoping the peach will do good this year,as this is the first time the peach male and peach hen have been penned together(along with 2 bssp hens). Two years ago I kept almost every bssp hen I hatched and finally this year they all are in breeding pens. My Taupe pen has 2 bssp hens as well. I kept Roadtrip with his same group of 2 bssp hens,one silver pied split to b/s and one nice pied hen. I also will have my first breeding pen of whites this year,all from my own raised chicks.

"Ring on the string," sounds like a parlor game. If it worked NO one would be stuck with a surplus of "stealthy" males. I wonder if "spin the bottle," is just as accurate. Sorry I just don't believe anything till I see it.

Well shucks,,all my purples are together in one breeding pen. three purple b/s,2 purples and a very nice purple pied hen.I'm hoping the peach will do good this year,as this is the first time the peach male and peach hen have been penned together(along with 2 bssp hens). Two years ago I kept almost every bssp hen I hatched and finally this year they all are in breeding pens. My Taupe pen has 2 bssp hens as well. I kept Roadtrip with his same group of 2 bssp hens,one silver pied split to b/s and one nice pied hen. I also will have my first breeding pen of whites this year,all from my own raised chicks.

How many hens to cock do you use in your breeder pens?

Well  shucks,,all my purples are together in one breeding pen. three purple b/s,2 purples and a very nice purple pied hen.I'm hoping the peach will do good this year,as this is the first time the peach male and peach hen have been penned together(along with 2 bssp hens). Two years ago I kept almost every bssp hen I hatched and finally this year they all are in breeding pens. My Taupe pen has 2 bssp hens as well. I kept Roadtrip with his same group of 2 bssp hens,one silver pied split to b/s and one nice pied hen. I also will have my first breeding pen of whites this year,all from my own raised chicks.

>_> I may need to buy more than just opals from you this year! Sounds like your tastes run almost exactly the same as mine!

Back
Top Bottom