Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
Today one of my RSLs had some serious trouble laying an egg. After puffing up for a few hours she managed to expel the white and yolk, but I had to pull the floppy shell from her vent because it was lodged in there. She had being trying to do it herself but couldn't. She seems to be doing okay, but any tips on helping her recover would be welcome. Thanks!

The shell was soft, floppy and wet - and nearly as long as my arm! In fact it hardly counts as a shell. I'm pretty sure I got it all out because it came out cleanly in one piece. She fluffed out her feathers and ran off, and was back to normal within the hour. I don't get it! Why would something like this happen? She has been laying lovely brown eggs every day for ages, with good strong shells. She had been acting perfectly fine in the morning and I only noticed something was wrong in the late afternoon. Should I be worried?

The shell was soft, floppy and wet - and nearly as long as my arm!  In fact it hardly counts as a shell.  I'm pretty sure I got it all out because it came out cleanly in one piece.  She fluffed out her feathers and ran off, and was back to normal within the hour.  I don't get it!  Why would something like this happen?  She has been laying lovely brown eggs every day for ages, with good strong shells.  She had been acting perfectly fine in the morning and I only noticed something was wrong in the late afternoon.  Should I be worried?
It could just be one of those random things. As long as it's a one time thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

It could just be one of those random things. As long as it's a one time thing, I wouldn't worry about it.
I sure hope it doesn't happen again! I was totally grossed out, to say the least.
sickbyc.gif

she is laying large eggs
She looks like my girl! Are you positive she is a RSL? The reason I ask is bc I bought mine as a Red Cross (RSL) but I posted a pic of her on here and was told she wasn't a RSL but a Production Red cause she doesn't have any white on her like the rest of the RSL in this thread. She is an absolutely beautiful chicken. Really deep red almost like a RIR. I have a pic of her on page 63. Im glad your girl is ok and laying again. I can't wait until mine start laying.
pop.gif

Last edited:
She looks like my girl! Are you positive she is a RSL? The reason I ask is bc I bought mine as a Red Cross (RSL) but I posted a pic of her on here and was told she wasn't a RSL but a Production Red cause she doesn't have any white on her like the rest of the RSL in this thread. She is an absolutely beautiful chicken. Really deep red almost like a RIR. I have a pic of her on page 63. Im glad your girl is ok and laying again. I can't wait until mine start laying.:pop
org I posted a pic off my RIR lmao I'm so stupid I will take another pic in the am. :lol: lol lol lol

I sure hope it doesn't happen again! I was totally grossed out, to say the least.
sickbyc.gif
yea, I agree. I have had to 'help' my Sandy with two or three of these too. I just made sure I helped her with the soft shell really careful, so as not to tear anything inside. The shell was so soft almost like a balloon that it wouldnt have hurt anything inside, but GROSS indeed. The things we do for our girls.
love.gif

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom