Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
And this is my GSL roo with a few more pullets. I'm thinking about keeping him and breeding him back to the GSL pullets. Read a few interesting post on here about outcome of sexlink x sexlink breeding. Thinking about giving it a try.

And this is my GSL roo with a few more pullets. I'm thinking about keeping him and breeding him back to the GSL pullets. Read a few interesting post on here about outcome of sexlink x sexlink breeding. Thinking about giving it a try.

You will be surprised at what you get when you breed Sex Link x Sex Link. Eventually the white gene in my breeding's became the more dominant gene and eventually I bred 3rd and 4th generation white Sex Link females to a RIR male and got mostly Red Sex Links again. They are very good layers even in extreme heat and cold. They do slow down some during extreme weather conditions but I have always gotten eggs from them.

Here are some of the birds I used in my experiment

And here are some 2nd and 3rd generations. There are some of my Heritage RIR and Rose Comb RIW chicks in with the Sex Links. Some of the white birds are Sex Links.

These are all 2nd generation Sex Links. Most of the white chicks turned out to be females.

The two brown and whites in this picture turned out to be males.

You will be surprised at what you get when you breed Sex Link x Sex Link. Eventually the white gene in my breeding's became the more dominant gene and eventually I bred 3rd and 4th generation white Sex Link females to a RIR male and got mostly Red Sex Links again. They are very good layers even in extreme heat and cold. They do slow down some during extreme weather conditions but I have always gotten eggs from them. Here are some of the birds I used in my experiment And here are some 2nd and 3rd generations. There are some of my Heritage RIR and Rose Comb RIW chicks in with the Sex Links. Some of the white birds are Sex Links. These are all 2nd generation Sex Links. Most of the white chicks turned out to be females. The two brown and whites in this picture turned out to be males.
You will be surprised at what you get when you breed Sex Link x Sex Link. Eventually the white gene in my breeding's became the more dominant gene and eventually I bred 3rd and 4th generation white Sex Link females to a RIR male and got mostly Red Sex Links again. They are very good layers even in extreme heat and cold. They do slow down some during extreme weather conditions but I have always gotten eggs from them. Here are some of the birds I used in my experiment And here are some 2nd and 3rd generations. There are some of my Heritage RIR and Rose Comb RIW chicks in with the Sex Links. Some of the white birds are Sex Links. These are all 2nd generation Sex Links. Most of the white chicks turned out to be females. The two brown and whites in this picture turned out to be males.
[quote name="cmom" url="/t/467260/show-off-your-red-sex-links-pictures-included/460#post_11556583 Yes i saw yours and Freds thread about breeding ISA to ISAs. In there y'all stated that the F1's where almost opposite (where the males was brown/white and the females where mostly white). Then all the females slowly progressed to be completely white offsprings. Thanks to you and Fred's hard work, that thread was what got me interested in give this a try. But i have just have a few questions. 1st did y'all use the original ISA rooster for breeding purposes all the way up to the F3 generation? If not which rooster did you use on your F2-F 3 generations. 2nd I see that you have your own Heritage Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island white breeding program to breed your own red sex links. my question is, dose the offsprings of that breeding pair actually produce red sexlink that out produce your original Heritage parents in egg production and "vigour "? Some on this site say breeding heritage to heritage will not create an offspring that out produce their parents. But only as good as their parents. Making the only benefit is sex identification at hatch. Thanks in advance.

My girls started laying a week from this past Monday, and we are rolling in eggs. So exciting. They are so sweet and easy, too. Dream chickens! Here is Freya and Brigid on their second day free ranging. Happy as hens :)

My girls started laying a week from this past Monday, and we are rolling in eggs. So exciting. They are so sweet and easy, too. Dream chickens! Here is Freya and Brigid on their second day free ranging. Happy as hens :)

Congratulations! How many hens do you have and how many eggs are you getting a day?

Congratulations! How many hens do you have and how many eggs are you getting a day?

We only have four. They are about 20 weeks old, and we are getting about 3 eggs a day right now. A few days this week, we had 4 eggs. I'm really happy with them. We had 8 white leghorns raised from chicks until we lost them all to predators at about 16 weeks old :-(. We learned our lesson, secured our coop better, and got 4 RSL pullets. Although it was sad to not to have eggs from our hand raised, we welcomed the new girls into our yard and we are really excited to be getting some eggs and having no issues - they are easy to get back in the coop (day or night) and super sweet temperament. Here's Athena free ranging today. After being cooped up for a bit to get used to their new "home" and start laying, they are loving their new found freedom.

After comparing notes with fisnet1971 I have determined my Pigpen is a RSL..... He's a little over four months old and he is a big baby. Plus he sleeps weird. And no, there is nothing wrong with him lol he is perfectly healthy
smile.png

Good grief, he looks dead in two of those pictures - weird indeed! XD

Back
Top Bottom